Using the Hot Spot Quiz Feature

jtamburro
Community Explorer

I am guessing that some of you were probably reluctant to use the newer quiz features.  I felt like it looked too different and would take too much time to set up.  I'm not saying that I'm wrong, but it just takes a good leap of faith one day to see how amazing these new features are.  

I am going to focus on the "Hot Spot" feature in this post.

In this quiz that I gave to my students, I was assessing their knowledge on the relative positions of the Sun, moon and Earth during the moon phases..  In class, we used a diagram to show the positions of these objects during each moon phase.  Students needed to be able to understand where the moon was in its revolution around Earth, in relation to the Sun's light, as well as why it appears to change shapes.  Big concept for 6th graders!

Considering our pandemic circumstances, at this time, I am teaching all of my students virtually.  My normal mode of giving this quiz is through a paper-pencil assessment.  Students are given 8 squares that represent the 8 moon phases.  Each square already has the Sun and Earth placed in their respective positions.  Each square has a random moon phase, not in order, and they must draw a moon in each square where the moon would be to create this phase.  It is the same information and form that they completed information on the Earth's layers. Well, the virtual-ness of this year poses a problem with giving that type of an assessment.  I knew that the new Canvas quiz features would come in handy.

I decided to give the Hot Spot quiz tool a go.  And it proved to be successful.  I am giving this example, of a Science related assessment, because I have already made the assessment, students have taken it, and it seems that compared to the paper-pencil assessment data from previous years, students had the same success completing this quiz virtually.

I made graphics prior to making the quiz, so that is something you may want to think about.  The graphic I made is shown below.  The quiz had 8 questions and each graphic was the same picture.  The key to this is the hot spot selection tool.  Below, you will see the area on the picture that students should choose in order to show mastery.  If they click anywhere other than this area, they get the question wrong.  Your area can be however small or large.  It is up to you.

c4.JPG

3 Comments
sjones11
Community Contributor

Does this record the first-click as the answer?  I'm just wondering what happens if the student clicks on the wrong place first, but then wants to correct that.  Is the question marked wrong?

jenna_scheub
Community Participant

Cool application for this question type!

NidiMiller
Community Member

Thank you Jessica!  Great article!  I love your suggestions about using the Hot Spot quiz feature.  I love that you thought about adding images especially or the visual learners. I can personally appreciate this type of thoughtfulness and consideration.  It's also a short quiz and I think you do not always have to create a lengthy test in order to assess student comprehension.  It looks engaging and I am going to try it!