cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jen_anderson
Surveyor II

Why does the auto open inline preview box not always appear?

Jump to solution

Sometimes the box to check for the auto open inline preview does not appear. Even with the same document type it comes and goes. Word and PDFs work? Does the auto open inline preview ever work for a powerpoint?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

This was Canvas supports reply then they closed the ticket:

"This is a known issue and the fix will be included in our next update, the problem comes when you upload a file in the side bar then try to link it. If you upload the files on a screen (either the files tab or in an assignment and refresh) before you want to insert them the inline preview will work. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused."

View solution in original post

7 Replies
leturno
Learner

I just opened a case #03779170

We have seen this behavior before. I have an assignment documented that I am sharing with support. The instructor linked the file using Chrome and does not have the inline preview option.

I re-linked the exact same file on the same page using Chrome and it does have the auto open in inline preview option. 

We did not upload the file a second time. It doesn't change with page refreshes. Both links are to the same PDF file in files. 

298290_pastedImage_4.png

298285_pastedImage_2.png

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Me too  @jmanderson2 ! Frustrating me today.

What did Instructure support have to say regarding your ticket,  @leturno ? 

I posted a reference to this question on the official documentation for this feature because I've been frustrated that it's not always available anymore if at all. 

I discovered today that if the doc you are wanting to auto open isn't an actual file in the course then the option won't be there. For example a link to a pdf will look like there is a pdf on the page but it's just a link unless the file for the pdf is in the course files, or a link to a onedrive document won't auto open either. Hope this helps. 

This was Canvas supports reply then they closed the ticket:

"This is a known issue and the fix will be included in our next update, the problem comes when you upload a file in the side bar then try to link it. If you upload the files on a screen (either the files tab or in an assignment and refresh) before you want to insert them the inline preview will work. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused."

View solution in original post

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

That makes sense - sort of. 

Thanks for the share  @leturno 

ID_2020
Surveyor II

April 2021 and still experiencing this problem.

Anyone else?