canvas and Chrome Books, MS Office or Google Docs?

Jump to solution
shawnw_cowley
Community Novice

Hi Team,

I have just recently started using canvas with chromebooks.  I had put in a few files such as a MS Word Resume for my students to fill in and a budget on an excel spreadsheet.  A number of my students thought they were turning in the spreadsheet  with their data input, but it was my base document missing their data.  I advised them that they needed to download the form because I think they were working within Google Docs and it never saved their data?  Not sure.

So, my question is, is it better to provide something in a Google Doc file in canvas when using chromebooks or is it better to stick with a MS Office document?

Thanks for any and all advice,

Shawn

1 Solution
jdecker
Community Novice

I would definitely stick with using Google Apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.) with the Chromebooks--this extension is available (and should already exist on Chrome OS by default) if you want to stick with Microsoft (Office Editing for Docs, Sheets & Slides - Chrome Web Store ) but I think Google Apps is the way to go (even outside of Chromebooks)...

If you have not already, you should have your students register their Drive via their Canvas profile (assuming your Canvas admin has enabled/allows this web service) to make it easy to submit Drive-housed content for assignments as needed.

(And yes, I am completely biased to Google Apps :smileylaugh:)

View solution in original post