extension beyond availability date

Jump to solution
patricia_lipsey
Community Participant

This summer will be our first time in Canvas. I teach an honors course with the policy that students have a one week grace period beyond the due date and then the assignment closes and they receive a permanent zero.  I set the due date and made the availability date one week later.

My question is   What if I want to give an extension to a single student beyond the availability date due to unusual circumstances. How do I do this?  Am I using the wrong settings for what I want to do.

What would happen if I remove availability dates and manually enter zeros for students. Does this prevent students from doing the assignment?

Thanks so much.

Pat

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@patricia_lipsey ​, to extend out the due date for just one student see the following guide for directions - How do I assign an Assignment to an individual student or course section?

For your second question I'm not 100% sure I understand, are you saying what would happen if you remove all until dates? If you remove the until dates the zero grade will stand if a student submits something, but you'll get a notification that there is a more recent submission. In addition, this can be confusing to students because in their mind they did submit the assignment.

View solution in original post