cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbrogan
Community Member

logged out of Canvas

Here is our situation:

We have iPads dedicated to our testing room. We are loading all assessments into a specific account/"class" supervised by me, the director of special education. We are loading these assessments as quizzes  in pdf format. If I load them as quizzes then the students can highlight the words and allow the iPad to read the text to the student. Since students can take screen shots of assessment questions then share these screen shots through the Canvas messaging system we have made "fake" student names for our 12 iPads. Students may listen to the test on Canvas, but submit their answers on the paper test, like all the other students. The iPads won't hold the fake student names when we load the quizzes. The students are timed out off and on during the day. The quizzes are loaded and marked untimed. If we load the assessment as an assignment then the iPad does not log the student out during the day. The catch is that the assessment is no longer secure due to not being able to put the access code on the assignment. We use these iPads for students in grades 9-12 so multiple tests are happening at the same time.

How can I keep the "student" logged in all day to take quizzes without being kicked out. I don't want to reveal the passwords to the students

Thank you.

Beth

17 Replies
mcowen
Instructure
Instructure

Elizabeth,

The original description makes me think that the content of the assessment is in a PDF and the Canvas quiz is the method used to display the PDF so that the screen reader can read the quiz aloud to the students.

If that is the case, I wonder if Canvas is the best tool for the job.  Perhaps opening the PDF in a web browser directly might work better?

Just a thought.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The issue is that she wants it to be password protected. We actually do something similar for our accommodation students, we just do it on computers not iPads.

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm just wondering if you are still experiencing this problem and what response you've received from your Help case?

bbrogan
Community Member

Yes, I am still experiencing the problem. I submitted a ticket through the

Help feature "reporting a problem", but I've had no response to my

situation.

I'm investigating using an account on Adobe + the guided access on the iPad

so that the students can only access the one site instead of Canvas.

Beth Brogan '86

Director of Academic Support

Bishop Chatard High School

317.251.1451 ext. 2252

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:43 PM, clong@hbuhsd.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

bbrogan
Community Member

Yes, I am still experiencing the problem. I submitted a ticket through the

Help feature "reporting a problem", but I've had no response to my

situation.

I'm investigating using an account on Adobe + the guided access on the iPad

so that the students can only access the one site instead of Canvas.

Beth Brogan '86

Director of Academic Support

Bishop Chatard High School

317.251.1451 ext. 2252

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:47 PM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

Okay, this may sound like a really dumb question, but - - I'm going to ask it anyway.....  🙂

When I submit a ticket through the Help feature and choose "Report a Problem", did you have the checkbox option to escalate it directly to Canvas Support? I'm not sure what it looks like from a faculty view, because as a Canvas Field Admin I get that option. I'm just wondering if it got escalated up to Canvas Support or got stuck in your local Help Desk area.

I know when we get our students or instructors submitting help requests through the Canvas "Help" feature, we try to take care of what we can here locally, and if we can't figure it out we escalate it up the chain and get Canvas Support to take a look at things.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bbrogan ​, I have to agree with  @ejackson ​. It has never taken longer than 18-24 hours for Canvas Support to respond to one of our Help tickets (that was escalated), so if you' haven't heard anything back then I'd check to make sure it has actually been escalated. If you have admin level access to the Help Desk tickets, then you can go in and check the box to escalate it yourself, otherwise you'd want to contact the Canvas admin at your Institution to make sure they didn't miss your ticket and see if they can escalate your ticket.

An update to my previous message - - yesterday I had to create a new case about a problem I was having with Canvas Beta, and made sure (as I always do) to check the option to escalate it directly to Canvas Support. A little later, when I was checking my Canvas Case queue, I noticed that the case I had created was NOT escalated, so I had to go in and manually escalate it. I contacted Canvas Support about this happening, and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for contacting Canvas support. This is actually one of the many issues that should be fixed with our new release this weekend. If it does not get fixed, be sure and let us know!"

So it looks like there has been a 'bug' and that will hopefully be taken care of this weekend. Just wanted to pass the information on.