#paperpumpkin Rubrics!

stephanie_pope
Community Champion

I LOVE the use of Rubrics within Canvas!

Scenario: Previously, I would print out dozens of copies of a rubric- I use rubrics to provide clear expectations for my students. Traditionally, I make copies to handout when I assign a project and ask for students to use them as a reference to guide them while they create their project. I also ask for them to hold onto them- so naturally you know what happens. The day they present their project, I end up making more copies and passing them out to those who lost the original rubric. I use the paper rubric to write my comments while they are presenting.

Canvas Solution: Build a rubric using Canvas Outcomes! The best feature to rubrics is that I can make comments on each criteria- as I would hand write all over the paper version. Canvas has done an amazing job mirroring the features of a paper rubric to an electronic rubric- and presents my comment clearly. Tip: when you use a rubric- make the comments on the criteria, but in the assignment comment box write, "Please see comments on the rubric." This will help direct your students to the detailed comments, which ultimately will help them develop the skill sets you are trying to build.

Here are some helpful resources:

How do I manage Rubrics in my course?

What are account-level Rubrics?

Here are some great feature ideas to help rubrics get even better:

I'm happy to go into more detail if you have any questions about creating or managing rubrics.

Stephanie

4 Comments
keeley_lowery
Community Novice

I LOVE The rubrics as well.  It has saved SO much time for me in grading and copying.  Have you seen a way to export them as a pdf or print them by chance yet?

bbelew
Community Contributor

I don't believe there is a built in way to pdf the rubrics.  What you can do though is go to the Outcomes > Manage Rubrics, select your rubric and either screen shot it, or on a mac you can print to pdf, or if you have acrobat installed on windows you should be able to print to pdf as well.

keeley_lowery
Community Novice

That was my work around. Thanks for your help!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I'm happy to see that extensive revamping of rubrics is on Instructure's radar as evidenced by the comments on this currently-archived feature idea:

Here are some rubric feature ideas that at this writing are open for voting:

And if you need help editing an existing rubric, look no further than  @James ​'s blog on using Greasemonkey (Firefox) or Tampermonkey (Chrome) to rearrange rubric rows:

Sorting Rubrics Made Easy