cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas FastTrack Ep. 20 - Discussions Chat About It!

The Canvas FastTrack Video series is a collection of quick videos aligning Canvas with Dr. Puentedura’s SAMR Model of Technology Integration.  This model has been used by many institutions as a framework for infusing technology into teaching and learning activities.  In the video collection we will dive into the various tools in Canvas and how they align with the SAMR Model of Technology.  Watch this four-minute video introduction to SAMR if you aren’t already familiar with the model.

Episode 20 is a 2 ½ minute video about discussions and some cool tips, tricks and ideas of how to bring life to the standard online discussion. 

Thanks for watching and please feel free to leave feedback, requests, and suggestions in the comments below!

Labels (1)
24 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Love the vlogging idea, Leslie. I can imagine using vlog posting assignments to freshen up text discussions. For example, for a public speaking task, ask students to present a piece of an argument in a video recording: introduce your topic; state a clear claim; or make a counterclaim. I wonder if each successive student could be asked to build the argument with a new claim, then a new piece of evidence, new explanation, etc.

Highlighted

Hi jomontuori@ccsd.ws​,

What a great idea, that would create a strong truly organic and deep discussion.  Also possibly create some competitiveness to get your submission in early. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Leslie

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I'm still not sold on "liking", but I might give it a try.  

Highlighted

I'm with you Seah, but Leslie did give me some reasons to make it worth testing out with the right group.  It is worth trying.

Highlighted

Joe, that is an excellent suggestion!  I'll keep that one in mind.

Highlighted

Hi snufer‌ and nbiddinger-c@instructure.com

I was given the best example of "liking" two weeks ago by travis.thurston@usu.edu‌. 

Based on your emotions of an extra point(s), give students a very engaging discussion prompt from a reading, from a lesson, from something relevant for your content and their lives.  Enable liking and sort by likes, in the instructions let students know that the discussion reply that is "liked" the most will received an extra point(s).  This can help to drive more thought provoking deeper dives of discussions.  

For the reply portion he uses a fantastic strategy of having students # with a Blooms verb, they are identified at the various levels.  

I've briefly summed this up, Travis can do a much much better job of sharing his fantastic idea! 

Anything to drive more engagement and get students past the hump of Read Chapter/Article Post Once, Reply Twice... 

Thanks! 

Leslie

Highlighted

Thanks for sharing this Leslie - the more I learn the more I like "like"! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Surveyor

Anyone desirous of making the rubric for a discussion more prominent should check out this feature discussion. Thanks!

Highlighted
Surveyor

Thanks for the great ideas.  I never thought about Vlog It.  I will have to try.  I like idea of the class winner too, I have had some professors ask why they would select on Allow liking. 

Labels