cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas FastTrack Ep. 32 - Show & Tell

The Canvas FastTrack Video series is a collection of quick videos aligning Canvas with Dr. Puentedura’s SAMR Model of Technology Integration.  This model has been used by many institutions as a framework for infusing technology into teaching and learning activities.  In the video collection we will dive into the various tools in Canvas and how they align with the SAMR Model of Technology.  Watch this four-minute video introduction to SAMR if you aren’t already familiar with the model.

Episode 32 is a 2 1/2 minute video about students submitting video assignments; at the redefinition level of technology integration, assessments are designed with never before conceivable tasks.  This video is more about sharing some of those outside the box types of assessments that will use video as the mode of assessment. 

Thanks for watching and please feel free to leave feedback, requests, and suggestions in the comments below!

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)
Labels (1)
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I'm unclear on the Instagram or Snapchat relationship? Is the 30sec or 8sec recording limit imposed by Canvas or these external sites?

stefaniesanders, I'm including you as you were kind enough to offer guidance on this query in another location...

Highlighted

Hi drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk​,

Great question, it would be incredibly cool if we had a solid LTI integration with both Instagram or SnapChat.  We however do not, the idea here is to scaffold off of things students are already familiar with like SnapChat or Instagram and the easy or simplicity of filming something quick. 

The instructor would want to put something either in the instructions or a rubric to limit timing, but it would not be strictly enforced by Canvas. Smiley Happy

Thanks for all of your great feedback on the FastTrack Series! Watch for more to appear this week!

Thanks,

Leslie

Highlighted

lstark@instructure.com‌, Thanks!  I had the same question while watching.

Highlighted
Surveyor

lstark@instructure.com‌, that's a great suggestion related to allowing students who might have anxiety to practice via the Canvas media recording tool . . . but I most appreciated the implication that allowing students to perform and record things like chair tests at home frees-up the time in classrooms that would otherwise be spent on it. Some people will see this comment and say, "But students need the authentic opportunity to 'perform' in front of audiences, whether it's their classmates or a panel of judges, etc."   Yes, I know and I'm not suggesting that those be eliminated by video submissions of all performances, presentations, and the like . . . BUT I'm definitely on board with encouraging practice (formative checks) and some 'formal' presentations being entirely online. Paired with the dynamic feedback tools at teachers' disposal in Canvas, it's more than possible to not only encourage such practice, but to also provide timely and specific feedback that can enhance students' 'high-stakes' performances.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I have used the media recording tool for our middle school and high school band and orchestra classes.  I have also presented it to our world languages department as a substitute for Audacity, which they used in prior years to record students speaking in their foreign language classes.  We recently went to 1:1 with Chromebooks and Audacity is no longer an option, as it cannot be loaded to Chromebooks.  Our teachers were very happy with the Canvas media recording piece, because the students don't have to go to anything external and it can all be completed in Canvas.

Highlighted

I totally agree wwolf@y115.org‌.  The more streamlined we can make the process, the better!

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

As a language teacher in a school where we are switching to Chromebooks and Canvas next hear, I was very happy to see your comments wwolf@y115.org‌! Thanks for sharing!

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

jayoder@ojrsd.com‌,

You might also have your students load the Canvas mobile App.  The video recording on a smartphone is even better than on a Chromebook.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Awesome! wwolf@y115.org‌...Those are the little tidbits, I'm trying to take in as I help to develop our future  PD sessions! Thanks for sharing!