Moodle Database Activity replacement

hburgiel
Community Participant

Our campus transitioned from Moodle to Canvas last October.  In Moodle, we had had a database activity with hundreds of entries.  What tools have you used to replace Moodle's database activity feature, which is not replicated in Canvas?

We'd like something that students can easily search and submit text and files to.

Thank you!

Heidi Burgiel

Instructional Designer

Lasell College

Tags (2)
2 Comments
tyler_clair
Community Champion

Hi Heidi,

you could look at online tools like Airtable. They are like online spreadsheets but with database features. I was looking at products like these a while back for a personal project but ended up just using Google Drive and Sheets which could be another way of trying to replicate the database activity. One product we use right now is Podio, which is based around project management but you create apps to help you collect and search data. In some cases we use it way outside of the indented use but it has taken some customization and use of an external web app using their API. I also have heard of Microsoft PowerApps which allow you to create data driven mobile and web apps using a simplified interface, so if you have office365 and are licenced to use it that is another option.

Best,

Tyler

hburgiel
Community Participant
Author

Thank you Tyler!

I have been looking at Airtable, which seems to be almost exactly what we need.  (Google Sheets doesn't handle images and pdf's well.)  Thank you for this pointer to similar applications!