Moving from BlackBoard to Canvas course URL woes...

holcombsp
Community Novice

Moving from BB to Canvas, but some of our courses have content that links back out to BB- anyone know any utility that replaces all the BB URL links in courses? thanks

Looking for a super script that can replace all BB URLs with new Canvas url....

5 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey there  @holcombsp ​, thanks for chiming in here. While I don't have an solution for you, I know a few smart people who may be able to offer some valuable suggestions, or know someone else who could offer some advice!

Hey Deactivated user​, do you have anyone in mind who might be able to help our friend here?  @James ​,  @jblumberg ​, or  @KristinL ​ do you have any thoughts?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@holcombsp ​, I don't have an immediate answer for you either, but I've shared your question with the LMS Migration​ space in case someone there has a solution.

kbesaw
Instructure
Instructure

Jordan,

Your request to  @jblumberg ​ is a good one. He presented at InstructureCon on a webcrawler that his team developed. I'm not sure if it would work for the "replace" part of this "find and replace" request, but I think it would help a lot with the "find" part.

I'll continue to ask the team as well and see what we can find out.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user, I immediately thought of  @jblumberg ​ InstructureCon presentation too. (). I agree with Deactivated user​; it may not "find and replace" but it would make the finding easier.

The high school where I teach moved from iTunes U to Canvas at the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year, and while I briefly used BlackBoard as a student a few years ago, I don't have any experience moving content around BlackBoard as an instructor.

@holcombsp ​ I know this isn't extremely helpful to you now, as you're already in Canvas and your trying to modify links to other internal content items, but when I built my first versions of my blended courses in iTunes U, I saved each unit in my Google Drive. There I had the directions or content as well as any supplemental resources (like links and lists of other resources to link to/from) in a document for just in case there was a move to a different LMS. That way I avoided broken links. I'm glad I did that because it made redesigning my courses in Canvas easier.

kenneth_rogers
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi there,  @holcombsp !

I wanted to follow up on your question and see how things were going. Were you able to come to a solution? Or are you still seeking assistance? Because this question is from over two years ago, I'm going to go ahead and mark it as "Assumed Answered." Don't worry, this won't prevent people from continuing the dialogue in the event the discussion needs to continue Smiley Happy