How are people embedding Library and Subject Guides into Canvas?

Community Member
2 4 1,025

How can this be done globally to connect any student with any Library or Subject Guide?

4 Comments
Community Member

I'm using the SpringShare LTI tool on the automagic setting. I've added course codes to libguides/subject guides and they go automatically. I don't mean to suggest this is an easy process for thousands of courses, but it is a positive step in the right direction. The library page is automatically turned on in Canvas. Instructors have to turn the page off if they don't want library content. I've also added generic library information in the help button directly in Canvas.

Community Member

Hi Jill (and others) --

We are looking into the automagic LTI. However, it seems like the guide display using the LTI in Canvas only takes up about 2/3 of the space, which is making the guide move into its "mobile view." We use the side nav, so this means some pretty good scrolling. If we just add it as a link (not using the LTI), it fills the entire space. Has anyone found a setting for the LTI display to utilize the full space and avoid forcing it into the mobile display?

Community Member

Diana, not sure if you found a solution, but we opted to change the embedding code, so libguides open in a new window. This eliminates the mobile view issue.

Community Member

At Marymount University, we embedded LibGuide into Canvas courses using AutoMagic LTI tool. Our faculty really like it.