LibGuides LTI

Community Member
6 17 4,853

Hello,

Is anyone out there implementing the LibGuides LTI in Canvas? We are doing a beta test right now and running into some complications. If you are, could you email me at carrie.moran@ucf.edu so I can ask some questions?

Thanks,

Carrie

Tags (1)
17 Comments
Community Member

Hi Carrie,

In Florida I believe State College of Florida and FGCU have it.  We decided it would be too difficult to implement at this time, but it's definitely on the radar.

Good luck!

shelly

Community Member

Thanks Shelly!

Community Member

Hi Carrie,

We are migrating to Canvas in fall 2016, and we will eventually be implementing the LibGuides LTI in Canvas.   I know Ernesto Hernandez implemented it when he was at Nevada State.  He is now at University of California, Irvine. Check out his presentation, " A Library Presence in Canvas" at A Library Presence in Canvas - YouTube

I wish I could be of more help. If I find any info, I will post it here.

Good luck!

Maryanne Mills

West Valley College

Saratoga, CA

Community Member

Would you be willing to share some of the complications you've run into? We're just dipping out toes in it now.

Adventurer

Hi Carrie, I was able to get it configured.  I'd be happy to chat with you about it - I'm at Seminole State.  I'll send you an email too...

Community Member

Hi Joni,

Can you share it with us all on this thread, if it is possible? Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Maryanne at

West Valley College

Saratoga, CA

Community Member

Yes, Carrie, please share the info it with all of us if you would.

Community Member

Right now the issue we are having is that the drop down menu list of guides includes private guides. We use private guides for some internal things, and don't want them showing up in the list. The other option seems to be mapping the guides to specific courses, but it takes a lot of back end implementation and we have to work with a group outside the library to do that.

I heard from another librarian who said "More problematic for us is that when we have tried installing the LTI either in a specific class or in one of our sub-accounts (each Harvard school has its own Canvas sub-account), we seem to get the configuration menu once and only once (see below). The first time I installed the LTI in a test course, I just randomly chose a guide from the dropdown list, and now the left navigation link is stuck on that guide. Even deleting the LTI and reinstalling it has no effect. "

Adventurer

Hi Carrie, I'm on spring break this week.  We also noticed the private vs. public thing and I think it's something that the vendor needs to address.  I'm not a librarian and our librarians decided that the only truly private guide didn't really matter having it public.  We didn't notice the deleting/reinstalling problem because we didn't test it.  I'm glad to hear you got it installed but yes, there were issues with it and because I'm on the canvas and not the library side of things, I left those policy decisions and contacting LibGuide support up to the library...

Community Member

Hi Carrie,

We worked directly with SpringShare developers to help test the Canvas instance so maybe I can help in some way. I'll email you. But I believe only the manual config is available right now, if you want to use the automagic tool,  you have to wait until its released and appears in your LTI Builder (under Admin).

Danielle

FGCU

Community Member

Hi Carrie,

The "Automagic tool" (versus the Manual Tool) is what would be used to map courses to guides, and I see its available today under the LibApps Admin menu.

We helped SpringShare (and them us) get it working right in Canvas, but once that was done there was no other back end work, and if I understand correctly there shouldn't be for anyone else - other than initial setup (LTI page builder & parameter matching).

There is work for the subject  librarians because they had to get a full list of all courses and decide what guide would link to which course. They will soon be adding the metadata to each guide to complete all matching, but that is pretty easy (maybe a little time consuming but the technical piece is easy).

So as the LibApps admin, I had to configure the tool within LibApps, then our canvas admin had to install it, and our librarians have to add the metadata to their guides.

I sent you an email, but I hope others find this helpful because there is a difference between manual setup and automagic set up.

Manual: Once the tool is added, instructors (or other course editors) can create links to LibGuides content: guides, pages, content boxes, or E-Reserves courses. The tool will guide the instructor/course editor through a series of options to select the appropriate content.

Automagic: Automatically add key library content to your LMS courses: You'll need to work with your LMS Administrators to add the tool at the Account level / in a master course shell in your LMS so the link appears in the navigation for each course. This option requires the instructor to do nothing - the links (configured and chosen by the library) will appear automatically off the navigation menu.

Danielle

Community Member

Hi Danielle,

We are in the middle of migrating to Canvas now. We, the librarians, would like to get libguides into all courses in the Canvas. So we would like to see how the automatic config works. If I understand correct, the automatic tool is still not ready for the public. Also, can you share what you have done with SpringShare developers? I can't find much on this from their site. Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mason Yang

Marymount University

Community Member

Hi Mason,

Take a look under your LIBAPPS (not LibGuides) admin menu. It's called LTI Tool Builder. Let me know if you don't see it there.

The Automagic and Manual tool have different launch & config URLS, so be sure you are on the right tab according to which approach you want to use.

I don't know how helpful sharing the developer work would be, because it was a lot of testing to get it where it is now (more so on their end for sure!). So I may just be of help with your setup, if that's what you are looking for. But first let's see if it is on your menu Smiley Happy

Have you looked through these docs yet? I think they were recently updated, so you may find more info there now. But if not, I' happy to try and help.

http://support.springshare.com/friendly.php?s=libapps/lti

Danielle

Community Member

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for sharing your experience! I will meet with out Canvas

administrator to discuss about this this afternoon. Hopefully we can figure

it out this together. Thanks,

Mason

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM, millerjm@seminolestate.edu <

Community Member

Hi Danielle,

This is Mason Yang and thank you for answering my questions! Somehow I can't log into my other JIVE account, so I have to create another account. Just want to keep you posted on this, I finally got this all figured out. Our librarians are so happy with the result. I put together what I have done on Canvas sites here and hope that will be helpful to someone else in the same situation.

On Canvas side:

1. Log in from an admin account and then go to Settings,

2. Add "Redirect Tool" app with "LibApps Test" as name, and LibApps Launch URL as URL Redirect. Then select "Show in Course Navigation" and/or "Show in Account Navigation". (You can replace "LibApps Test" with something making sense to you.)

Inline image 1

Once you done that, it will add a menu item "LibApps Test" to all courses.

3. Now, we have to go back to Settings, Apps, and configure that app again using "Edit" function from External Apps. Change the settings to the following:

Name: LibApps Test

Cousumer Key: (get this from your LibApps administration interface)
Shared Secret: (get this from your LibApps administration interface)

Launch URL: (get this from your LibApps administration interface)

Domain: null
Privacy: Public

Custom Fields: leave it as is.

Description: leave it as is.

4. Once the above step done, the LibApps Test will be shown on the navigation menu on every courses.

5. After that, you will have to set up LibApps side to communicate back to Canvas.

Thanks!

Mason

Community Member

Hi Mason,

Thanks so much for sharing! We tried your suggestions for using the Redirect Tool in our live Canvas this morning to see how it compares to how we had installed in our TEST instance. We think this may be an easier, cleaner way to do it. All of my LibApps settings and metadata are already in place - so since its intersession we did some testing - so far so good!

If you encounter any issues please share, and so will I Smiley Happy

Thanks again Mason!

Danielle

Surveyor

I know this thread is old but would appreciate any insight you all have gained. We are trying to implement the LTI Toolkit using Automagic in Canvas. My LMS admin installed the LTI Toolkit. We are unsure of how to identify the correct parameter for matching (we think we should use Context_Lable) and also how to see the information in Canvas so that I can match my metadata to how it is entered in the LMS.  Right now my failback guide is appearing in all courses in Canvas under our Library Resources tab but I can't seem to map individual guides to the courses with metadata. Has anyone gone through this?