cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner

Annotate PDFs on Ipad using Canvas

Greetings,

I am new to Canvas and researching the best app to use to annotate PDFs on the Ipad using Canvas.

Is there one app that works better than others? One that seamlessly integrates?  Cost involved?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeneen

Tags (2)
21 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Jeneen! Welcome!

With the newest update of Canvas Mobile, PDF annotations are now part of the mobile experience. (Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.15)) If you'd like to join a conversation about it, see Student Annotations!Mobile Annotations: Quick Demo​ will take place this week as well.

As far as external apps go, we've had great luck with Good Reader, Notability, and PDF Expert.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

I would totally try out the native annotations capability that is new, as Kristin suggested. Those options that she posted as other 3rd party are great, but I want to put in a plug for one more that is coming out in the next week or so.

PDF Viewer for iOS & Android - Reading, Reviewing, Annotating - Made Easy. | PSPDFKit SDK - The lead...

PDF Viewer will be *free* on both iOS and Android, and I think will rival and beat all other options. 

Highlighted

It was just released *today*! I downloaded it, and it looks awesome, probably better IMO than Notability which I held as probably the best prior. And the best part of it is, it's free!

Highlighted

Can I ask why the iPad annotations don't save? Last week my teachers were very happy about the annotations in Canvas because the students were able to comment then submit very easily, all within the app. This week we are told that there was a bug fix to keep annotations from "sticking around." Which tells me that you don't intend for the iPad to save students annotations. What if the student didn't finish the assignment and was going to finish at home? As soon as they navigate away, their work is gone, which causes extreme frustration for the teachers and students. Is this a feature you plan on adding? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sorry about that. We added back "sticky" annotations in version 6.3.4 available on the App Store now. Please let us know if you have any issues with them.

Nate

iOS Software Engineer

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

arnold.cassie@blvs.org‌, 

Can you give 6.3.4 a try and see if this solves your issue? Thanks! 

Highlighted

I emailed our tech guy this morning to ask about pushing the update first thing tomorrow when kids are back in class. I will let you know how it goes!

Highlighted

Hi arnold.cassie@blvs.org‌,

Any updates on if the update worked? Thanks!

Highlighted

It was working great until today. There were differences to the annotation tools (like no eraser which was strange and annoying and the pen tool didn't have thickness options) but they stuck. Today I got an email that everything the kids have been working on this week is missing. This is extremely frustrating.