cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Best software / hardware for screen casting mobile to PC

I am wanting to screen cast mobile devices to a Windows PC for the purposes of taking screenshots/screen captures and to also be able to display the device screen through a projector attached to the PC. I looked through the Community and found Go Completely iPad in the classroom posted by don.bryn@donbryn.com concerning the use of Airserver, but, so far, that is the only thing I was able to find. 

Is there anyone else who uses screen casting with iOS and/or Android devices for any of the reasons I mentioned above?  If so, what hardware/software are you employing to make this possible?  I would prefer a single solution for both iOS and Android, as I use and test both types of devices, but if an all-encompassing solution does not exist, I don’t mind acquiring multiple pieces of hardware/software.

Labels (2)
20 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I actually gave a webinar last week where I needed to display my iPhone over GoToMeeting to demonstrate a product on the mobile screen.  I've used various platforms to do this, and the product I have settled on is http://www.lonelyscreen.com/​.  I don't have an Android phone so I can't test that out, but for iPhone I found the lag to be minimal - which is usually the problem you run into with these things.  It's a free product as well.  If you wanted to actually record your phone/tablet screen then you could just use jing, snagit, or screencast-o-matic.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jbrady2@hccfl.edu  - I have this question too! Finding a solution was actually on my To-Do list for next week because I need an easy way to record in-house training material. I was really happy to see this question pop up!

Highlighted
Learner II

Vysor - Android control on PC - Android Apps on Google Play

I use Vysor for Android. You can see the screen on your computer and control it with your mouse and keyboard.

I hope that helps!

Highlighted

kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com​, definitely give http://www.lonelyscreen.com/​ a try, but let me know if you find something better.  There is also a product called Duet Display​ in which you can use an iPad to extend your monitor.  But it costs $18.99, which is approximately $18-19 more than I like to pay for apps. 

Highlighted

snufer Thanks for this info.  They don't appear to support Android devices, but at least I will have this to test with my iPad.  I especially like that it is free!

Highlighted

Sounds great.  Thanks dhulsey@nmjc.edu

Highlighted

Free is good, but, like Jeffrey, I need to be able to record both iOS and Android.

Highlighted

Awesome! Thanks Dallas!!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is trivial with a Mac - Canvas Mobile Video: The Making Of...

But...For Windows, we have had pretty good success with Reflector. It works with iOS and Android devices: Reflector 2 | Mirroring and Streaming Receiver for Windows   - It's $14.99 - but there is a free trial.

As for displaying iOS devices during presentations, the best way (by far from the cheapest) is by far using an adaptor: Lightning to VGA Adapter - Apple