cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Full-size Video Playback in Canvas mobile app

Just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention here, adding support for full-size video playback in the Canvas mobile app is open for voting now, please come over and vote for this if videos are an important part of your curriculum:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7799-change-screen-orientation-view-for-videos-in-mobile-app 

This is a major problem for us at our institution, we have a lot of instructional videos featuring software UIs and the controls are very difficult to see in the tiny videos that the Canvas app displays. 

For those unfamiliar with this issue, if you play back a video in the Canvas mobile app, it will not rotate into horizontal mode if you turn your phone horizontally. This makes the videos very small and hard to see on mobile. It seems like it should be a simple global fix as well, after all pretty much all other video apps I've ever seen support this. 

(If anyone knows a way to fix this on the admin end in CSS or Javascript let me know...)

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hey John von Seggern‌: There is no way to fix this. This is due to how the app handles video. I totally agree that this should be an implemented idea. The "only" workaround is to ask users to open the video in Safari using the app's share sheet. Once in Safari, users can rotate the video. Unfortunately, there is no way to force users to open a link in Safari. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Just want to add that this issue has been resolved in the latest version of the app! Thanks Instructure. 

Highlighted

Wow, thanks for letting me know! That wasn't widely announced. I have tested this on my iPhone X running iOS 11. I'm curious if this also works for iOS 10? 

Highlighted

Not sure. I'm running iOS 11 on an iPhone 7 Plus, I didn't try it on iOS 10.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors