cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgaudreau
Explorer III

H5P.com beta testing

Me: Educational Technologist recently invited to the H5P.com LTI for Canvas beta testing.

You: Also using the beta, or curious about H5P & Canvas integration.

I'm looking for mobile-friendly assignments, design ideas and more. Let's connect!

Tags (1)
39 Replies

I'm having difficulty understanding the advantages of it. Panopto and Kaltura (both products we support) can create interactive quizzes. Plus, they support ASR and editable captions, and are mobile friendly. I see a few things in H5P that look intriguing, but not enough to sway me yet....especially with so many content items that don't support WCAG. Interesting product, but didn't convince me.

H5P does of course have built in support for closed captions for videos, look at this normal video example with captions, and this interactive video example with captions.

H5P has had support for closed captions for a long time. That you didn't find it Rob suggests that we need to look into that part of our authoring tool to see if we can make it more clear. The problem might be that vtt(the format we use) is not as well known as the older formats(srt), but vtt is the most common HTML5 format. It may be used for captions among other things. You can probably use it for transcripts as well.

H5P is an open source community driven project. Most of the H5P Core Team's content types don't have any known accessibility problems. Other content types do. There are no know accessibility problems on H5P.com, content types with known accessibility problems are disabled by default. The administrators of each organization may decide to go in an enable those that are not accessible. Speak the Words with voice recognition for instance is often used even if it isn't accessible on its own. If you can't speak you can't use it, but authors provide alternative resources to those who can't speak if it makes sense. An overview of the content types is provided for admins on H5P.com.

Panopto and Kaltura are potential integrations / partners for H5P.com. Not competitors. H5P is trying to change the world so that you can grab any interactive content, put it on your own site, edit it and publish your version to your users. We want authors to create from something instead of starting from scratch every time. Just click on the little download button at the bottom left of any of the H5P example content and upload it to your own H5P site to see how it works. We'll be integrating a global hub with all the existing H5P sites. There are over 30000 H5P enabled sites in the world that will be connected together forming what might be the largest interactive content collaboration project ever.

H5P also happens to be the preferred authoring tool for interactive content for many organizations, also organizations with unlimited budgets. The reason is simply that the H5P community is awesome.

Best,

Svein-Tore Griff With (aka Falcon)
H5P Founder

jingyu_huo
Community Member

I actually just found h5p.org today and already had 3 questions:

1. the audio recorder task can't be embedded in Canvas. The error message says: "Access to microphone is not allowed in your browser since this page is not served using HTTPS..." Will h5p.com solve this issue?

2. Does h5p.com have the feature where we can use image, audio, video other than text as the prompt for speaking tasks?

3. Does h5p.com support Chinese character and enable Chinese handwriting exercises? That will be a perfect candidate for a smartphone learning activity.

@jingyu_huo ‌, I recommend you reach out to H5P directly for answers to your questions. I am far from qualified to address them.

The handwriting exercises for mobile learning sounds like a great way to meet students where they already are.

Thank you very much! I'll try to contact them directly.

a1224143
Explorer

Just following up on this conversation. We are piloting H5P.com and making recommendations about which "interactives" to use in which situations. For deeper learning I really like both the Interactive Video and the Branching Scenarios. I have built same template style Branching Scenarios that learning designers and teachers/academics can re-use or customise for their own subject area. The Branching Scenarios are quite fun to build but many may find it a little complex so building templates or exemplars should help make it easier for thos less technically minded.

Would be great to see these Kym. Do think branching scenarios have huge potential but agree that they can be a bit foreboding when first starting off.

Have you seen this? 

http://insights.nursekillam.com/innovation/h5p-awesomeness/

GideonWilliams
Adventurer II

I use an awful lot of drag and drop quizzes in my work. I also design them for other staff often converting them from static worksheets.

In doing so, here are 7 top tips!

1. Go to Behavioural Settings and change the Background Opacity at the very start - I set mine to 0% as I am dragging in text labels

2. Make Drop Zone highlighting visible only when dragging as it means there is less clutter and more blank space when opening the quiz

3. Make one drop zone then use the Copy and Paste function to copy the others - it means you have the same drop zone size throughout (big time saver)

4. Use the Snipping tool to copy any images into Word. Create your template in Word and use the Snipping Tool to make an image from that

5. Always make sure that the image size you import is as close to the actual image you made in Word

6. Leave space in your image template for the labels - add in a title first (used to forget this all the time!)

7. Landscape quizzes often work better than portrait ones

Example of my template in Word - added to, in H5P

The template contains:

• Border for image
  • Border for missing labels
  • Title of Drag and drop
  • Instructions for both
  • The image being used for the drag and drop
  • (And, in this case, the label arrows from the diagram)

314826_pastedImage_1.png 

That's awesome. Certainly some ideas in there I can siphon off for future project builds Smiley Happy

haha