How Can I Target Elements in iOS and Android Apps for Custom JS?

Jump to solution
alanjeppson
Community Novice

We run custom CSS and JS in our middle school for a customized grading scheme. For the most part this works very well on the web view. More parents are requesting use of the mobile apps, so I am looking at implementing the same code on the mobile apps. My web view code is written using JQuery, which I know isn't supported and I will need to rewrite in vanilla JS. 

As an example, we convert percentages into words (e.g. 75% shows "Meeting" on student summaries and in the teacher's gradebook.)

My problem is that I (being very amateur) do not know how to target the elements on the page in the app. In the app, I can see where it says "SUBMITTED 75%", but have no idea where to start targeting it with:

document.getElementByID.????

Am I missing something basic? Is there any way to emulate the app in the browser to use my browser development tools? Any help or guidance is very appreciated.

Thank you!

1 Solution
tdw
Instructure
Instructure

Custom JavaScript does not run on the application components of the mobile app.  I think that it might run on content areas (e.g. if you have CSS that styles headings in content) but I'm not 100% certain on that.  So what you're attempting is not possible using custom JS.

have you considered using custom grading scales and/or the Learning Mastery Gradebook?  I don't know if those will work for you or not as we'd probably need more info on your use case.

View solution in original post