cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Teacher Tools

I love the discontinued Android App teacher Tools. I still use it on my phone and sometimes with the Android emulator BlueStacks on my laptop. That is, I used it until a few days ago. On both my phone and laptop, the app crashes when I try to open it. 

Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu‌, pcraighill@instructure.com‌, do either of you have any insight as to why this would be happening? Any chance there will be a fix? Smiley Happy Or maybe it is just me that likes this app and is having a problem?  

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Let me dig around and see what I can find. I haven't used the app since it went off the store in the summer. 

Highlighted

Thanks!

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

R.I.P., Teacher Tools. Best to think of that APK we sent you as the Mars rover, Spirit: It was exciting, it was all alone, it lasted much longer than expected, and it's much too costly to repair.

In all seriousness, it could have been broken by either an API change to Canvas or an Android update -- things that we usually don't allow to break our apps -- but Teacher Tools has been out of circulation long enough that we can't get it to build anymore.

What feature(s) did you use the most? Depending on what it is, maybe we can remake the magic in the teacher app. 

Highlighted

I used Hot Seat the most -- nearly exclusively. I teach an ITV class with students in a cross listed class across five different geographical locations. The hot seat feature let me randomly call on and interact with students across all of the sites without favoritism. It also helped me identify students visually sonce most of them use a headshot in their Canvas profile. 

Without Teacher Tools, I will go back to using a flashcard app, but getting profile pics into the flashcards is too time consuming, so it will be names only.

Thanks for for the response pcraighill@instructure.com‌. If you build Hot Seat into the mobile Teacher App, I bet it would see a lot of use. Would you like me to make a feature request?

Highlighted

I would also like to vote for the Hot Seat feature. That was very useful. 

Highlighted

Sure! I'll create a ticket for it and link the idea to it. Maybe we can get an engineer to do it for a hack week.

Highlighted

I agree!

Highlighted

Here is a link to my feature request: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11015-hot-seat-in-canvas-teacher-app" modifiedtitle="true" tit.... Mobile lovers, please vote and comment to show pcraighill@instructure.com‌ how much we would like to see this feature in the teacher apps.