cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Teacher app questions

Hello,

I had a training recently with some faculty around the new Canvas teacher app. A few of their questions which I have searched for and cannot find any answers to:

- Can you mute grades in the teacher app so students cannot see graded material until the teacher is ready to release them?

- Some classes show a "ungraded" prompt and others say "needs grading" - any reason for the difference?

- one faculty had an older assignment she was viewing from last spring. It was set up to be graded with a rubric. The dialog buttons were there and available, but when you click on the long description link to add text/comments, a big blank window popped up with no way to add text or dismiss the window. 

Thanks,

Eric

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi echamber@endicott.edu‌, 

Can you mute grades in the teacher app so students cannot see graded material until the teacher is ready to release them?

Yes, this can be done in the submission list (not in SpeedGrader). Check out this guide and look at the gear icon at the top of the submission list: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11855-71156771597#manage-submissions 

Some classes show a "ungraded" prompt and others say "needs grading" - any reason for the difference?

I'd like to see an example of this. Is this on the same device? Or between different devices? I know in the beta version of the app you saw the words "ungraded" all over the app, but at release, it was changed to "not graded". I'm curious if it's a version issue or something else. I'd love to know where you see "ungraded" because I can't find it in the app. 

Also, there was a new version released today (1.0.3). I suggest you try that and see if the issue was fixed.

one faculty had an older assignment she was viewing from last spring. It was set up to be graded with a rubric. The dialog buttons were there and available, but when you click on the long description link to add text/comments, a big blank window popped up with no way to add text or dismiss the window. 

This sounds a little buggy. There was a new version released today. I suggest you try that out and if it doesn't work, create a support ticket. 

Highlighted

I also see the big blank box when clicking on "long description", though I am able to dismiss it. It is designed to show the long description for the criterion (row).

Now that we have short/long descriptions available for each CELL of the rubrics (which is a fantastically useful feature!), is there any chance that the app will be able to show that? We have spent a lot of time working on the text for the rubric cells and we don't want to lose that functionality. I'd rather have people use the web interface on tablets than use the app and lose the details.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi emily@emilyspringfield.com‌, 

So in the Teacher app, you see the long description option for each criterion, but when you tap on it you don't see the long description, but a blank box? 

For each cell/number of the rubric, if you press and hold the grade/number, you will see the short description of the rubric. I don't see how to bring up the long description for each grade though, and assume it's not available. 

This does sound like a great idea though! I highly suggest you create a feature idea for this option: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2109-how-does-the-voting-process-work-for-feature-ideas 

If you do, please post back here so other can see it and hopefully give you a vote. Thanks!

On a side note, the long description for the criterion or the grade is not available in the student app, so this might be another feature idea? 

Highlighted

The big box is only blank because I don't usually have long descriptions for each row criterion. It has the long description text if there is a long description. 

I didn't know about the press/hold functionality! But I think I will also suggest that the cells' long descriptions show somewhere. Overall, I wish the rubrics on the app looked/worked more like the ones on the web interface.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, The Android version of the Teacher app hides "View Long Description" if nothing has been set. Seems like that should be the same for iOS to avoid confusion and clear up the interface. 

Since it's available on the web, I agree that the long descriptions should be there as well. Like my previous post, this should be available on the Student app as well since it's where it will be most useful.

As for the teacher app, I suggest you create a feature idea to bring more visibility to this.