The mysterious world of Canvas Mobile (to an Admin anyway)

Robbie_Grant
Community Champion

Our campus has been live with Canvas since the Summer of 2012.  One of the big draws was Canvas Mobile and the ability for Canvas to play nice with mobile devices.  Our shop was small (4 full time employees) and has gotten even smaller (now down to just 2) as we support 24,000 students and 1500 faculty.  Due to this fact, mobile support for our users has eluded us.  We are actually starting to turn to our faculty and our Student Technology Advisory Committee to help answer some of the questions our students experience.  We are also escalating all of our mobile issue to Instructure Support and utilizing the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/cmug?sr=search&searchId=b0a503e5-63b7-4327-b6ee-663edec02aaf&... group as well.  As an admin, I want to be able to answer everyone's questions all the time, but that is just not possible sometimes.  Thank goodness for all of the support of the Canvas community.

Robbie

Tags (2)
3 Comments
rseilham
Community Champion

Thanks for sharing. I hear this all the time from our admins and admins from other schools. At UCF, mobile access is around 30% of all Canvas traffic, so it's a big chunk. I'm thankful for all the wonderful Canvas Coaches, Canvassadors, and community members for championing the mobile user and understanding the importance to support all users regardless of platform. This is of particular importance to 1:1 schools and the student that might only have a smartphone as their only access to their courses. Always remember to survey your students and faculty to identify the gaps and where to start the conversation to help Instructure make a product for all users. Keep up the good work! 

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@rseilham  how are you tracking mobile usage? 

rseilham
Community Champion

Google Analytics for web, Canvas Data for the app: 

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)