cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Turnitin with iPads not Working Consistently

Jump to solution

Turnitin student submission in IOS app - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

We are 1:1 iPads and bought Turnitin this year. I have been working on getting teachers to use it. The results are not consistent to say the least. It works for some and not for others. Some have used pages and converted the paper to Word and submitted it and that mostly works.  Others have tried Google drive with mixed results. We are still experimenting with this.

The error message is "Cannot Upload Submission" "Launch LTI tool up in left."

One of our teachers teaches concurrent courses for the local college which uses Blackboard. Turnitin works with Blackboard on the iPads.

My question, are there some of you with iPads that are getting Turnitin to work consistently? If so, how are you doing this?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Gary Hancock​ & Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu

We are also a 1:1 iPad school. Our teachers and students have been using TurnItIn for over 8 years now. We had a few issues when we moved from the TurnItIn LTI to External Tool but we were able to clear them all up.

One thing that comes to mind is to make sure the teacher has a turnitin account. We had one that had an account but that account email didn't match the email we were using in Canvas. Once we adjusted the email in turnitin so they matched, he was up and running with no issues.

Other issues we had were getting the students to submit the correct file without issues. We created videos for the students and teachers to show them what to do.

Another issues is the settings. Some teachers don't click the more settings to complete their set-up. This is really for resubmission.

Screen shots would be super helpful. This way we can see how the assignment(s) are set-up, what is being submitted and then the error.

Below is the information along with links that we shared with our teachers.

Although the checkbox with "enable TurnItIn submissions for this assignment" exists in Canvas, it doesn't function like it used to. Now, we have to use "submission by external tool" then select TurnItIn.

Here's an awesome step-by-step explanation of the changes to TurnItIn + Canvas. It outlines many FAQs.

Assignment Settings Video

Student Submission from a Computer Video

Student submission in Text

Student submission on the iPad via the Browser

Moving documents from other apps to PDF Expert

If you allow resubmission, and a student needs to re-submit the assignment, you the teacher needs to remove their first submission before they can resubmit.

I hope this is helpful.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

ghancock@lcsd2.org​:

This is an interesting case. I don't have much experience with the purchased version of Turnitin, so I'll have to do more research. Can you attach a few screenshots of the errors?

If anyone else out there uses Turnitin with iPads, please jump in!

Highlighted
Surveyor

Gary Hancock​ & Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu

We are also a 1:1 iPad school. Our teachers and students have been using TurnItIn for over 8 years now. We had a few issues when we moved from the TurnItIn LTI to External Tool but we were able to clear them all up.

One thing that comes to mind is to make sure the teacher has a turnitin account. We had one that had an account but that account email didn't match the email we were using in Canvas. Once we adjusted the email in turnitin so they matched, he was up and running with no issues.

Other issues we had were getting the students to submit the correct file without issues. We created videos for the students and teachers to show them what to do.

Another issues is the settings. Some teachers don't click the more settings to complete their set-up. This is really for resubmission.

Screen shots would be super helpful. This way we can see how the assignment(s) are set-up, what is being submitted and then the error.

Below is the information along with links that we shared with our teachers.

Although the checkbox with "enable TurnItIn submissions for this assignment" exists in Canvas, it doesn't function like it used to. Now, we have to use "submission by external tool" then select TurnItIn.

Here's an awesome step-by-step explanation of the changes to TurnItIn + Canvas. It outlines many FAQs.

Assignment Settings Video

Student Submission from a Computer Video

Student submission in Text

Student submission on the iPad via the Browser

Moving documents from other apps to PDF Expert

If you allow resubmission, and a student needs to re-submit the assignment, you the teacher needs to remove their first submission before they can resubmit.

I hope this is helpful.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Emily,

This was very helpful! I have gone through the documentation and have forwarded this onto one of my tech-savvy teachers who has been working through this so she can try it out with her classes.

Thank you again!

Highlighted
Learner II

Turnitin told me recently that the iPad app does not currently fully function with an LTI assignment. The problem is that the app communicates to Turnitin, but an additional communication is required from Turnitin back to Canvas that is not occurring due to the way the LTI specification currently functions. The upshot is that if a teacher grades in the app, the grades do not sync back to Canvas and must be entered by hand. On the student side, the submission process may be buggy.

My suggestion would be to use Google Drive and to submit from the mobile browser instead of the Turnitin app. That way, the students can submit straight from Google Drive to Turnitin, and it should work fine as long as the LTI  and assignments are set up correctly in Canvas.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here's another awesome, and relevant, thread I thought I'd link here: New Turnitin LTI Issues

While that thread looks the entire LTI, not just mobile, it seems like it will be a good discussion.

Highlighted

Hi Dallas- 

Our school is having issues with Canvas/Turnitin/Google/iPads.  I ran across this discussion during my research and still have some questions.  In your second paragraph, "my suggestion woul be to use Google Drive ..." could you explain that a little more for me please?  

Thanks in advance,

Jeneen

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, jeneen_hill@natronaschools.org‌! Turnitin has a feature called "Cloud submit" that allows students to submit from a Google Drive or Dropbox account, so if a student can get their file into Google Drive, then the student can submit anything in their Google Drive to a Turnitin assignment. Here is what a student would do:

Save file to Google Drive.

Access Canvas through the browser on their mobile device

Go to the Turnitin assignment in Canvas

Use the cloud submit feature to submit a file in their Google Drive.

Now, it is also true that the Student ios app for Canvas will eventually support external tools like Turnitin, which will make the process easier, but, now, only the teacher app supports external tools. Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu‌ might have an idea on the timeline for being able to use the Canvas Student app instead of the browser.

Does that help?  

Highlighted

Yes, that does help.  That is what I am doing as a practice student.  I get to the submit part and I click the cloud submission icon to access my actual assignment, and it won't let me go any further.  I have taken a screen shot, this is where I get stuck.

I am on an Ipad. Thanks in advance, Jeneen

268253_google_canvas screenshot.PNG

Highlighted

The test student does not have a user profile in Canvas, but the user profile (name, email, etc.)is how most external tools identify who you are and what kind of access to grant you. Turnitin does not know who the test student in Canvas is and so blocks access. From a security standpoint, it is a good thing, but it is annoying when using the test student to, um, test things with external tools like Turnitin. 

To truly test, you need a real student account that has a Canvas profile with a name and email address.

I hope that helps!

Top Kudoed Authors