cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Two questions about formatting

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the Student app and I have two things I'd like to submit as feature requests, but I thought I'd ask here to be sure they are a) appropriate, b) haven't been already requested, c) are not already fixable in the UI.  

1) The syllabus description has no padding on the left (unlike pages).  It's not a big problem but it looks like something might have been cut off (though that is not the case), and it's "unattractive."

2) On the iPad, Powerpoint slides display a navigation bar on the right, which obscures some of the slide and does not seem to be movable.  On an iPhone there is no such bar.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi hesspe@bc.edu‌, 

1) The syllabus description has no padding on the left (unlike pages).  It's not a big problem but it looks like something might have been cut off (though that is not the case), and it's "unattractive."

Unattractive, indeed. As you can see the Syllabus tool shares the same RCE as Pages but is much different. I think this would be great idea to submit as it would help with consistency throughout the app. It doesn't necessarily stop the user from seeing the content, but is not desirable. The formatting is much better on the Android app, so this is mainly focused on iOS.  

You can learn about creating ideas here: How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?  

If you do, please post back here so we can vote on it. 

In the short term, a work around could be to 1) Copy the content of your syllabus into a Page 2) Link directly to that page from the syllabus description. Check out the following video. 

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

This isn't a permanent fix, but I've seen teachers do this because they don't like the syllabus description for various reasons (doesn't keep version history, can't notify students when there are changes, etc).  

I'll look into your iPad questions soon. Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

hesspe@bc.edu‌, 

I checked out your second question. 

2) On the iPad, Powerpoint slides display a navigation bar on the right, which obscures some of the slide and does not seem to be movable.  On an iPhone there is no such bar.

I can see how that cuts off the most right-side of the PPT. I don't know anyway to get rid of that bar. It's actually pretty useful, but I can see why you want it besides the PPT instead of over top of it. 

My only suggestion is to encourage students to hide the menu so the PPT is full screen. The bar will still sit over the PPT, but it's a little better. 

With menu:

before

Hiding the menu:

hide course menu

Also, I encourage you to consider creating an idea.  You can learn about creating ideas here: How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?