cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Viewing the entire Gradebook in Canvas Teacher?

Jump to solution

Did I miss a checkbox? I cannot seem to view my grade book in the Teacher app. I have to go back to the regular Canvas app to do that. Seems...awkward.

Polly

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi probinson@tacomacc.edu,

I’m not sure which gradebook view you’re referring to within the Canvas app…but within the teacher app, there are two ways to view a gradebook.

1) The submissions list of any assignment, which is essentially a column of your gradebook (i.e., one assignment, all students). It looks like this:

252827_pastedImage_2.png

and 2) The student context card, which is essentially a row of your gradebook (i.e., one student, all assignments). It looks like this:

252828_pastedImage_3.png

We designed it this way to avoid squeezing a gigantic table onto a phone screen. That alternative involves some significant usability and performance issues in mobile. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi again, probinson@tacomacc.edu!

I'm going to copy pcraighill@instructure.com‌ to get a more official response on this... but I wanted to share my personal viewpoint for the time being.

The Teacher App isn't necessarily meant to be a complete replacement for day-to-day interactions. For as long as I have supported mobile devices in Higher Ed, I've encouraged faculty/staff to use their device for the "quick and dirty" tasks, and their computer for the full feature experience. Fortunately for all of us, Instructure has given us a pretty awesome app for Teachers to grade, annotate, and really interact with their students.

When you go back to the "original" Canvas app, this one (in my mind) is really geared towards students, which is why you can easily see your grade book. As an instructor, you have no true interaction with this, as it's really meant to consume data as a student.

With that said - I see where you're coming from and the desire/need to have a high level view of your grade book in the Teacher app. I'm not sure if it should be full featured, but maybe just a 30,000 ft, "Here is the status of your items and organization" view. BUT - that's why I copied Peyton on here as he can give us some information on this topic. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thanks so for CC'ing Peyton.

Polly

~~

Polly Robinson, Ed.D.

Faculty, Communication Studies

Tacoma Community College

Highlighted

Hi probinson@tacomacc.edu,

I’m not sure which gradebook view you’re referring to within the Canvas app…but within the teacher app, there are two ways to view a gradebook.

1) The submissions list of any assignment, which is essentially a column of your gradebook (i.e., one assignment, all students). It looks like this:

252827_pastedImage_2.png

and 2) The student context card, which is essentially a row of your gradebook (i.e., one student, all assignments). It looks like this:

252828_pastedImage_3.png

We designed it this way to avoid squeezing a gigantic table onto a phone screen. That alternative involves some significant usability and performance issues in mobile. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

probinson@tacomacc.edu‌ - 

The Canvas Teacher app 1.1 with Student Context Cards was released today, so I suggest you update the app and give it shot. Hopefully this helps. 

Also, to follow up the previous messages, the grade book is quite a major feature for web and I'm not sure you will ever so a 1:1 equivalent on mobile for various reasons, but the post above by pcraighill@instructure.com‌ should get you a long way.