cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GideonWilliams
Adventurer II

A "Bug", a Design feature and a workflow/user help Improvement

Whilst not a design issue, I think this is something that needs to be made more clear..

I used Quizzes.next as part of a series of tasks in a Module. I applied criteria to each task in the module. Each task had to be completed in order for the students to progress.

278615_criteria.PNG

I used Quizzes.next as Task 2 and set a pass requirement of 15/25 (60%) to move on.

To my surprise, no-one was able to move on unless they had achieved 100%

I contacted support and the brilliant Victor pointed out the error of my ways. I had assigned a point score of 25 but had not changed the Display Grade to Points. It was left as Complete/Incomplete. This meant that to complete the task and move on, students had to score 100%.

278616_settings.PNG

Even though students ‘passed’ the test, their score was being read as 0 by Canvas.

278617_outcome-quiz-0.PNG

278618_outcome-quiz.PNG

Whilst I appreciate that this was user error on my part, I struggle to see why you might have this combination of awarding points and displaying as Complete/Incomplete.

Perhaps this is something you might consider altering for future release?

FURTHER UPDATE

Changing the Display Grade as back to Points has NOT updated the gradebook. The scores in the gradebook are either 0 or 25 even if students scored in between. I have had to manually alter the scores in the gradebook. So I am guessing that the LTI is not able to recalculate the scores and update the gradebook????

4 Replies
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @GideonWilliams ‌,

User error will happen and we will explore ways to resolve these types of scenarios. Quizzes.Next updates Canvas when the score changes. Since there was no score change in Quizzes.Next, there was nothing to recalculate, and thus nothing to update. I believe that your specific situation warrants a support request for a data fix.

Here's some context and background on the topic:

The separation of the points in Quizzes.Next and its related Canvas assignment is driven by two primary technical considerations.

• As an LTI tool, Quizzes.Next passes Canvas a score represented as a value from 0-1.0 (inclusive). So if a student gets 58% of the total possible points, the passed value would be 0.58.
  • Canvas' relationship to Quizzes.Next is managed via an assignment that uses an external tool, opening access to the variety of ways assignment scores could be represented.

When presented with this situation, past user feedback led us to consider the impact of keeping this change. 

Based on our research we think that these grade display options make Quizzes.Next assessments attractive for use in more situations. While the separate grading in Quizzes.Next provides an assessment construction process where the individual weight of questions within the assessment can be honored. This does necessarily create some additional complexity but we think it will be worth it.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

Thank you for replying and explaining Kevin

How is the Support Request made? Is this something I do?

I believe the process to access support is best summarized in How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? 

Thank you. We have Tier 1 support and I am a regular user of the Chat feature. I just assumed that the Support Request for a known issue was something else....