cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lyra_stephens
Community Participant

Available Until Deadline and Timed Quiz

Jump to solution

We did some testing today and it seems that New Quizzes is now functioning the same as the Classic Quizzes for the hard deadlines. When I set an "Available Until" time with a time limit on the New Quiz, the quiz times out and auto-submits at the "Available Until" time.

@erinhmcmillan or anyone from Instructure, can you confirm this is correct?

• Previously, the Available Until time was not a hard deadline, the timer still gave 30 minutes as long as the quiz was accessed and started before the Available Until time.
    Example Available 10:00am, Available Until 10:30am, 30-minute Time Limit.
    • Student A can access and start the quiz at 10:00am and has until 10:30am (30 minute total) to finish and submit.
    • Student B can access and start the quiz at 10:25am, and has until 10:55am (30 minute total) to finish and submit.
    • Student C cannot access the quiz at 10:31am or later.
  • Currently, the Available Until time is a hard deadline, at this time both access to start the quiz and quizzes that are in progress are stopped.
    Example Available 10:00am, Available Until 10:30am, 30-minute Time Limit.
    • Student A can access and start the quiz at 10:00am and has until 10:30am (30 minute total) when access stops and the quiz is auto-submitted.
    • Student B can access and start the quiz at 10:25am, and has until 10:30am (5 minutes total) when access stops and the quiz is auto-submitted.
    • Student C cannot access the quiz at 10:31am or later.

@graeme_douglas and @Eman-Rashwan had the same issues:Timer and Until Dates in New Quizzes 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hello, @lyra_stephens that is correct, New Quizzes fixed this as a bug fix in December. I am new to the team, but in the future, changes that have never existed in New Quizzes will be handled like features. We will try to get feedback on new behaviors in advance when it is particularly impactful. 

see: Until Date and Quiz Access 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
lyra_stephens
Community Participant

Just found this after I posted... Available Until field overrides Timer in New Quizzes  by @shane_cronin 

Looks like this should have been in a recent Release Notes

milesl
Community Contributor

I wonder if New Quizzes only temporarily allowed time limits to override available until times. I'm pretty sure I tested this in the past, and was sure that New Quizzes functioned the same way as Classic Quizzes in this regard.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@milesl I agree with your observation of the history. For us, the temporary behavior showed up as a bug - but @lyra_stephens is right that other institutions' plans might have led to relying on the timer overriding availability, while that was working.

For my part, I'll say that the pandemic is prompting my team's instructional designers and technologists to recommend much longer quiz availability windows, such that the time limit governs access.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hello, @lyra_stephens that is correct, New Quizzes fixed this as a bug fix in December. I am new to the team, but in the future, changes that have never existed in New Quizzes will be handled like features. We will try to get feedback on new behaviors in advance when it is particularly impactful. 

see: Until Date and Quiz Access 

View solution in original post

@SuSorensen thank you for the update

johnb
Community Participant

Dear All,

I am hoping you may be able to offer some clarity with regard to moderating in-progress quizzes, in both New Quizzes and Classic Quizzes.

Specifically, I am looking for clarification on available options when it comes to giving a student additional time while their quiz is in-progress i.e. extending the time available for them to complete the quiz while they are actually doing the quiz.

My understanding to date is as follows:

In-Progress Untimed Quiz: Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes

An Untimed Quiz is a quiz where no “time limit” is set. Time available for the quiz is determined by Available From and Available Until time/dates.

It is not possible to add additional time to an in-progress quiz by changing the Available Until date. The quiz will auto-submit at the time/date settings in place when the quiz was begun.

"Changing the until date for a published quiz will not alter the auto-submit time for students with in-progress submissions." Once I publish a quiz, how do I make additional changes?

This applies even in a case where you update the quiz settings to create a separate Assign To section for a particular student where you set the extended Available Until time/date.

In-Progress Timed Quiz

A Timed Quiz is a quiz where a “time limit” is set. This is separate from any Available From/Until and Due dates/times.

Classic Quizzes

For a Timed Quiz, I can give additional time to a student during an in-progress quiz by moderating the quiz. Moderating the quiz to extend the time available involves extending the quiz by x minutes from current end time (i.e. from the current Available Until date/time)

A student´s submission will be recorded as late because, due to the time extension, it will be submitted after the set Available Until date/time.

This understanding is based on the following:

"If you give a student extra time during an in-process quiz with a set availability date and time, their submission time will display as occurring later than the selected availability time." Once I publish a timed quiz, how can I give my students extra time?

I have tested this and the system behaves as described above i.e. the student receives a time extension but their submission is recorded as late.

This appears to contradict the following note in relation to Add Extra Time on Attempt.

"Quiz availability dates still apply when moderating a quiz. If the Until date passes when students are taking the quiz with extended time, the quiz auto-submits even if the student's time extension has not expired." Once I publish a timed quiz, how can I give my students extra time?

A colleague has suggested that the above is specific to the Available Until date (not time) and that this provision only applies to cases where a time extension extends the time available across two days.

For example, students have 60 minutes to complete a quiz that is Available From 11.00 1st June and Available Until 23.59 1st June. A time extension of 30 minutes is granted to a student who begins the quiz at 23.00 1st June i.e. time extension runs until 00.29 2nd June. In this case, the quiz will auto-submit at 23.59 1st June and the student will receive only 1 minute of additional 30 minutes.

New Quizzes

Timed Quiz with Available From/Until and Due date/times

From testing, it appears that it is not possible to extend the time for an in-progress quiz by moderating the quiz for a particular student and giving them additional time. It appears that the Available Until time/date supersedes any time extension granted during an in-progress quiz.

Timed Quiz with Available From and Due date/times but no Available Until time/date

I have tested this for an in-progress quiz with Available From and Due dates/times, but with no Available Until date/time, and, again, while I moderate to grant additional time, the student does not receive it and the quiz auto-submits at the end of the original time limit.

Timed Quiz with Available From date/time but no Due or Available Until time/date

I have also tested this with no Due Date and no Available Until date and I get the same result – I moderate the in-progress quiz but the student does not receive the additional time.

The below, from two separate Canvas Instructor Guides, appears contradictory.

"Moderation timer settings will not be applied to an assessment attempt that is currently in progress." How do I moderate a student´s assessment attempt in New Quizzes?

"If a student is currently taking the quiz while you are viewing the Moderate Quiz page, you can extend the quiz time as part of their current attempt. You can choose how many minutes to extend the quiz, and whether you want to add those minutes to the current time or the current (scheduled) end time." Once I publish a timed quiz, how can I give my students extra time?

I would be really grateful for any light you might be able to shine on the above.

Best Wishes,

jb

Steven_S
Community Champion

@johnb 

I have not had cause to test a until date extension for an in-progress un-timed exam.  However, a subsequent attempt by the same student will have the later until date, even if the current attempt does not.  One condition though, there is a bug in new quizzes with differential due dates that include until dates later than the date for "everyone else."  There is a solution in beta testing, and once the solution is applied, the student's next attempts should work with the extended until date.  If the quiz was a new quiz, there is an option to reopen a current attempt (timed or un-timed) which should (in theory) allow you click reopen if a student reports that their quiz locked at the wrong until time.  You would have to be available basically right at the until time to make sure everything was working correctly.  It would make sense to apply the until date adjustment to in-progress attempts without a need for reopening the attempt.

In classic quizzes I found that it always works as in your example.  I never experienced any exception to the timer ending at the until date, but my default due time is 11:45pm with a 11:59pm until time.  Any extension I offer would occur on a different calendar day.  I do not believe the calendar day should make a difference, and if it does that is likely a bug.  Typically I have added the additional time before students start their quizzes, and so that may have been treated differently than in-progress changes.

I have tried (and failed) to get the new quizzes moderating to adjust in-progress attempts correctly.  It should be possible to extend the until date and also add time to the in-progress attempt, but your first note was that until date extension do not transfer to in-progress attempts.  In cases of new quizzes without an until date, or with an until date already far enough into the future, you should be able to click reopen and the reopened quiz will have the additional time.  However, the additional time time starts when you click reopen, not when the student logs back in, so this requires way too much remote coordination to use correctly. 

This note:"If a student is currently taking the quiz while you are viewing the Moderate Quiz page, you can extend the quiz time as part of their current attempt. You can choose how many minutes to extend the quiz, and whether you want to add those minutes to the current time or the current (scheduled) end time."  Is about classic quizzes.  In new quizzes there are two types of moderation.  The "moderation timer" accessed from the pencil icon, can be used to make accommodations for every quiz a student takes in the course.  The accommodations include removing time limits and setting a time limit multiplier.  For example, we often have students approved for time and a half on all quizzes and exams by out ADA office.  The pencil icon will do that, but likely not on in-progress attempts.  There is also a moderate button to the right of the pencil icon.  Clicking the moderate button provides an option to add time to a current attempt, and to reopen the current attempt.  In my tests of reopening attempts, adding time works, if done while reopening, but if you have to try more than once, it is difficult to interpret how much time to add.  In my case I asked canvas support for assistance, and even they got it wrong.

Here's one of my examples:  Student experienced technical problems, and their quiz eventually auto-submitted when the timer ran out.  I agreed to reopen the attempt, and assumed that I needed to add the difference between the quiz log time and the end of the normally allotted time (lets say 30min).  So I added 30 minutes and reopened the attempt.  It ran "in progress" for the difference between the quiz log and the end of the normally allotted time PLUS the 30 minutes I added, so it turns out I did not need to add time for this circumstance.  However, the student still had technical difficulties that prevented any progress, so I went back to reopen the quiz again, dded an extended differential due date, and asked support to help me figure out how to make sure the repeat reopened attempt would have 30 minutes allotted to it.  According to support, I had everything set correctly already leftover from the previous reopenning, but what happened when I clicked reopen is that it instantly submitted because the student had been partially logged in trying to resolve the technical problems and used up the entire time.  The 30 minutes left over from the previous attempt, needed to have another 30 minutes added to it, in order for the repeat reopened attempt to have 30 minutes.  By this point I was tired of the time consuming coordination to click reopen at exactly the time the student was ready to restart, and so I copied the remaining questions into a brand new quiz assigned only to her, and added her partially complete essay responses into the body of the questions.  That seemed easier than continuing to trouble-shoot reopenning an in-progress attempt (with due dates, until dates, and timers.)  It turns out that the differential due date causes a problem that currently has a solution in beta testing, so it worked out well that I moved on from trying to reopen the attempt at this point.

I have also struggled to allow students another attempt at a new quiz set to only allow one attempt, however another user explained the bug causing that:  In order to use the allow another attempt moderation in new quizzes, one must turn on multiple attempts in the new quiz settings (and then set the number of attempts to 1 attempt if typically only one attempt is allowed.)  Then adding another attempt in moderation should work as expected. 

johnb
Community Participant

Dear @Steven_S ,

Thanks so much for the detailed response - much appreciated.

Re: If a student is currently taking the quiz while you are viewing the Moderate Quiz page... note, thanks for spotting my error - it does indeed refer to Classic Quizzes. I have read so many posts and guides and discussion threads , that my notes got confused. 

Your solution regarding having additional copies of a quiz that can be assigned to students who require additional time in-progress, is one I have used in the past and, like you, found it works well. It isn´t a viable option, however, in cases where the quiz questions are randomized (or at least not in my experience, limited though it is).

Your mention of bugs in New Quizzes makes me really nervous as sometimes when I am testing and the system does not behave as expected I am not sure if it is something I am doing, a technical glitch on my end, a bug etc. It introduces much unwelcome and unneeded uncertainty! 

Best Wishes.

Steven_S
Community Champion

@johnb  For your randomized questions, you should be able to see which specific questions the student had by clicking the attempt on the moderate page (after you have concluded the attempt).  Rather than copying the randomized exam I would create the student's copy with the same questions.  However, I sincerely hope this is resolved so that the moderate options work as expected soon.