cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

ExamView Question Banks

Jump to solution

Is there any work on allowing users to be able to import ExamView question banks into the new quizzes? I have tried every ExamView export type but none of them load into the new quizzes. I know that currently I can just put it into the current quiz system then export it out again, but what are users going to do once the current system is completely replaced with Quizzes:Next? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi arnold.cassie@blvs.org‌,

We plan for the Quizzes.Next QTI import process to continue to improve throughout the current beta period and after, including removal of the single import file limitation. Part of the sunsetting process will be ensuring that users are getting what they need -- including parity in import versatility. We do not have a hard date in mind for any change that would limit access to Canvas Quizzes. The smooth and successful transition for our users -- you and others -- is our priority.

The process I described is not ideal, nor does it represent our final envisioned workflow. It is simply the only workflow available at this time. We are working on features that will support a better workflow in the future.

If after the beta period, your institution determines it wants to migrate large amounts of content before the better workflow is available (if the timing works out that way), please encourage your institution to reach out to your customer success manager at Instructure to first ask if other options may exist.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Highlighted
Community Member

Unfortunately it doesn't. I have tried every export option available in ExamView and all of them produce an error when attempting to upload. 

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

We are still improving our handling of QTI Imports and are confident the situation will improve. As noted, you can import them into Canvas. You could then migrate that quiz. See https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14081-71670837155 

I understand this isn't the ideal workflow. If you're able, please consider reaching out to support and providing a sample file along with details about how it was produced. I cannot say that we'll be able to resolve your specific issues, but it does help us continue to improve. QTI implementations vary by vendor and sample files may help us prevent problems.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Instructure

Highlighted
Community Member

Kevin,

I'll take your suggestion and submit a ticket, but frankly the process is ridiculous and it is ridiculous to expect the teachers to do it. Plus, what is going to happen when legacy quizzes go away? That work around will disappear and people with ExamView would be out of luck with importing their question banks.

There are two people in my office who are going to be responsible for moving hundreds of quizzes over, over the next year. To add in this convoluted process will take us extreme amounts of time, especially since the import doesn't work if you have more than one quiz file in the canvas export. 

It is kind of frustrating that Canvas has know about this bug for a while and it is still not fixed. 

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

We plan for the Quizzes.Next QTI import process to continue to improve throughout the current beta period and after, including removal of the single import file limitation. Part of the sunsetting process will be ensuring that users are getting what they need -- including parity in import versatility. We do not have a hard date in mind for any change that would limit access to Canvas Quizzes. The smooth and successful transition for our users -- you and others -- is our priority.

The process I described is not ideal, nor does it represent our final envisioned workflow. It is simply the only workflow available at this time. We are working on features that will support a better workflow in the future.

If after the beta period, your institution determines it wants to migrate large amounts of content before the better workflow is available (if the timing works out that way), please encourage your institution to reach out to your customer success manager at Instructure to first ask if other options may exist.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Instructure

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

That is VERY good to know.  All of my tests are created in ExamView so that I have an option for a good printed copy for special needs students.  I have two years of quizzes and tests that I will need to import into the new quiz engine.

BTW, using the QTI export function from ExamView to import into Canvas NEVER worked despite very kind help from Canvas support.  What DID work was export to Blackboard format and then importing into Canvas.

Examview comes with so many textbooks now that it would be incredibly helpful for the Canvas and ExamView folks to get together on this.

Rick Swengel

Perry Meridian High School

English teacher and tech coordinator

Highlighted
Community Member

I have a large number of Examview test files if the development team would like some files for testing import protocols.

Rick Swengel

Perry Meridian High School

English teacher and tech coordinator

Highlighted
Community Member

To: @Kevin Dougherty

Please don't forget to consider opening the syntax for the data file so users can bulk import basic questions from a simple text file. Blackboard has done this for years, and since the Respondus company hasn't updated its Respondus 4 product for years, and doesn't plan to, giving teachers this capability would be HUGE. See Upload .txt Questions into a Test Tutorial  for what I'm talking about.

Highlighted
Community Member

In a fit of desperation, I was able to create a workaround for getting Quizzes question banks imported into Quizzes.next as Banks instead of just as quizzes. It's a pain, but it's faster than manually moving individual questions into a bank within Quizzes.next.

I have a number of quizzes saved in Quizzes as Quiz Banks. These were imported from ExamView using the Blackboard Export/Import process.

By using the "Export Course Content" feature in settings, you can choose to export a SINGLE quiz (in this case, one of the question banks I have in Quizzes. This exports the Quiz in a QTI format that can be imported into Quizzes.next.

To import the bank, create a new Item Bank in Quizzes.next. Don't worry about the name because the import will change the name. open the new (empty) Bank and click on the three dots in the top-right. Select Import Content. Follow the directions.

I have been using this to migrate all of my ExamView banks into Quizzes. next in preparation for next year.

Hope this helps.

J-