cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emily_morgan
Community Member

Grading in Quizzes Next

Jump to solution

Is there any reason Quizzes Next wouldn't be automatically grading Multiple Choice Questions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @emily_morgan 

Thank you again for your detailed feedback. You helped us discover a difficult bug and the fix will be delivered soon.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@emily_morgan ‌, we've moved your question to the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes?sr=search&searchId=cdd81b98-4b00-4892-948e-a07cf0fe56...‌. If you're not yet a member of the group, please click on the link to the group and select Join Group from the Actions dropdown you'll see at the upper right of the group home page.

kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @emily_morgan ,

I am not aware of any reason a multiple choice question would not be auto-graded. Has this behavior persisted for you?

-

Kevin Dougherty

Instructure

Hi, Kevin.

Yes, the issue is still there.  For additional context, this is what information I have.  We have Quizzes.Next Beta in our Production area, but we have a warning for faculty to NOT use it until we (Instructional Designers and IT) have had a chance to really learn the ins and outs.  Here's what instructors see:

One of my instructors "accidentally" used Quizzes.Next.  From what I can tell, he built the quiz correctly:  15 MC questions worth .5 pts each.  Total points 7.5.  For the settings, he allowed for Multiple Attempts (3), and chose "Highest" score to keep.

Students completed the quiz with no issue.  SpeedGrader is reflecting the students' selections; however, it does not record the points earned.  Every quiz shows 0/7.5 even though there are correct answers. 

I tried the "ReGrade" feature in both SpeedGrader (no change) and the Moderate tab in Quizzes.Next (change in the Moderate tab, but did not transfer to Gradebook). 

We've worked around this issue (manual grading) for now, but it is curious that this happened.  I believe this is the first "live" class that has attempted to use Quizzes.Next as it has operated just fine in our practice/testing courses (in fact, I think it is pretty slick!). 

Any insight you have would be appreciated, and feel free to contact me if you have more questions about what maybe happened.

Thanks for reaching out.

Emily Morgan

Instructional Design and Development

University of Northern Colorado

970-351-2334

Hi  @emily_morgan ,

Thank you for the additional details and context, they are very helpful. I'll investigate further and update here as more is learned.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Instructure

kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @emily_morgan 

Thank you again for your detailed feedback. You helped us discover a difficult bug and the fix will be delivered soon.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Instructure

View solution in original post

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @emily_morgan .  I am reviewing older Quizzes.Next questions to determine if updates are appropriate.  It looks like a bug was identified and Kevin suggested it was being addressed.  I have been working with Quizzes.Next recently and haven't noticed any issue so suspect the bug was fixed not long after it was identified.  Since no posts have been made to this thread since February, I am going to mark Kevin's response as correct.  However if you are still experiencing problems, please let everyone here know.

All the best!