Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Grouping multiple fill-ins within a Single Question

Jump to solution

In old Quizzes, we realized heavily on a work-around to grouping multiple questions into the same page by doing multiple fill-ins within a single question worth its weight in points and designed to look like it's own section on each page.   Here's a visual example: 

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 3.08.12 PM.png

There is currently no options or work arounds available that I can figure out in New Quizzes. Because this format is used in many of our departments (not Math) and especially in our languages departments and in our new student Placement Exams, we cannot move to New Quizzes except for Math. 

Help!  Especially in studying languages, you can imagine how important it is to have quizzes/tests in sections for testing conjugation in present tense, past tense, etc.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@bcrook Hi, Beth! It sounds like you're looking for something on the order of this? Allow New Quizzes fill in the blanks to have multi... - Canvas Community 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Steven_S
Navigator II

This should still be possible with the new quizzes fill-in-the-blank type, but it will be difficult to add the line breaks.  I believe that the reason is because it uses enter as a keyboard option to create a blank, and so clicking enter cannot also create a line break.  It is possible to end up with line breaks (even some that you might not expect) by copying and pasting from another document.  You could try creating the prompt in word and copying from there to see if the saved question has the desired line breaks.  You could also print the word document to a pdf and try copying from there for the same effect.  Unfortunately we do not have access to the html of the question prompts, so I don't know of a way to add or remove those line breaks manually.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@bcrook Hi, Beth! It sounds like you're looking for something on the order of this? Allow New Quizzes fill in the blanks to have multi... - Canvas Community 

View solution in original post

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thank you Stephanie!  I'm adding my comments over to that group right now!

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Well that's just silly.  And not a good silly, either.  Grrr.  

Thank you for the insight!!  I headed over to the thread that Steph mentioned and added to the 3 pages of requests that I didn't realize were already there.  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one begging for this!