cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonpauljohnst
Learner II

Help - Quizzes.Next Report

I've been on a couple of long support chats with for this - each time they "escalate" it then I haven't heard anything back, so I thought I would put it out to the community here:

I developed an important end of the year exam (85 questions) in Quizzes.Next (I thought since it was out of beta it would be fully functioning, but I was wrong - can't go back now - my mistake). Administration is wanting item analysis reports and there are two related problems:

1) I can't remove test students from the results (I delete them from the section, still there, I go back into student and reset, still there, and various combinations). There is no preview in quizzes.next, so I had did a few student attempts.

2) For any question that had a stimulus, the report only shows for the test student, not the actual students - so the report is incomplete, though if you look in speedgrader all the information is there. We have complete exams with every question answered by all 26 students (which is good at least! praise be!). Quizzes.next has no export function - and I can't pull it back into a regular quiz format.

I knew if I put it out here I would get the smartest minds on the problem...any suggestions?

1 Reply
jasonpauljohnst
Learner II

FYI - received this from support this morning, I agree that it is how it is designed but still looking for a workaround if anyone has any ideas.

-----

Hello Jason,

Quizzes.Next treats the Canvas "test student" as a real user.  This is due to the fact that Quizzes.Next communicates with Canvas using the LTI standard, and there's no provision in that standard for a fake user (documented here).  Many LTI tools won't even launch when student view is active, but we allowed for it so instructors would have a way to preview quizzes.

Resetting the test student in Canvas doesn't actually delete the submissions from Canvas.  The submissions are immutable.  It sets that test user's enrollment to a deleted workflow state.  It creates a new user with a unique user ID.  That unique user ID is what's passed during an LTI launch, which is why there are different users showing in Quizzes.Next for each test student reset.  This will be addressed in the future (as mentioned in the documentation), but as of now the system is working as designed.  I hope this information will be helpful, and I'm sorry for any confusion this has caused.

Kind regards,

Will - L2 Canvas Support
Support@instructure.com

ref:_00DA0Ibsk._5002GcxZGn:ref