cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

How to a reassign a New Quiz to a student?

Jump to solution

I have a student who missed the deadline for a quiz (New Quizzes), which is now closed. How do I allow that student to take the quiz?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

On the assignment tab (specifically) click the three dot icon at the right end of the quiz.  Select edit.  Then more options in the pop-up.  The screen that opens will have the options you are accustomed to for assigning all other assignments. The dues dates and availability dates are at the bottom of the page with a button to add another below that.  Adding a new date allows you to set a different date for the new student while maintaining the same settings for current students

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

On the assignment tab (specifically) click the three dot icon at the right end of the quiz.  Select edit.  Then more options in the pop-up.  The screen that opens will have the options you are accustomed to for assigning all other assignments. The dues dates and availability dates are at the bottom of the page with a button to add another below that.  Adding a new date allows you to set a different date for the new student while maintaining the same settings for current students

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply. That's just what I was looking for.

But I can't forbear saying: The single most awful thing about Canvas is the way every component—assignments, discussions, quizzes, "new" quizzes, etc.—has different controls and organization from the others. This means that for seemingly every part, you have to learn all over again where to find and how to do things. The inconsistency is infuriating.

Highlighted

Re: Your response "I can't forbear...........infuriating."
Canvas has a number of deficiencies I have contacted them about.  Every online system has deficiencies (e.g. plenty on Google and Microsoft), but if they are not addressed in a timely manner, that is by far a more serious deficiency.  Here are two that I have posted about:
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor/New-Quiz-quot-Allow-Multiple-Attempts-quot-must-be-put...
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructional-Designer/Gradebook-column-headings-too-much-empty-s...
Let's keep up the pressure.  Canvas will probably be a multi-billion dollar company now that they have a huge market share of higher ed LMS's - they need to invest in their programming.

Don Lotter
Biology, CSU Sacramento

Highlighted

@dpotts2Agreed.  It took me a while to find this screen when I encountered the same problem.  In all other assignments the needed screen is the first thing you see when you open the assignment, regardless of how you access the assignment.  Now with new quizzes, it can only be found through a very specific sequence that it is not logical to try without instructions.  There needs to be a button on the new quiz itself, that brings instructors to these settings, or else instructors need to see these settings first, and then have a button that brings them to the remaining settings.  But at least it is there, and so we can make it work for now.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

Yes.  In order to change some things in a New Quiz, like the number of attempts allowed, you have to go to the Assignments page or the Quiz page and then click on the 3 dots far right of the quiz, and then click Edit.  That takes you to the Old Quiz format.  Then you have to close/save that, go back to the list, and click on the link for the quiz, which takes you to New Quiz.  Aaaargh!

Highlighted

@lotterThe number of attempts is visible on the assignment settings page, however I am not sure it is functional. I have not tested the impact of the setting in assignments, because the multiple attempts setting within the new quiz works.  When I set a limit number of attempts in new quizzes, the limit works as designed even though the assignment attempt settings stays at the default of unlimited. 

To adjust the number of attempts use the new quiz settings:  While in the quiz, select settings at the top of the page, and scroll down to find "allow multiple attempts." You can allow unlimited attempts or limit the number of attempts, and control which score counts towards the grade.

Other than the dates, I think the only assignment setting that might be needed is the total point value of the quiz.  (If you set up the quiz to be worth 100 points in assignments, it should remain worth 100 points no matter how many questions are included or the point value of those questions. - I have not tested that yet though)