cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niallCIT20
Community Member

Image based answers missing from quiz submission

When answering essay style questions as part of a quiz, images pasted into the rich text editor are not submitting. The image appears while the user is completing the quiz, it is still visible if they come back to the question after moving on and additionally when the user submits the quiz it is not listed as a question that has not been answered.

When the lecturer goes to correct the quiz be it via moderate or speedgrader, the answer section for the question is blank. It doesn't state (no answer) so the system appears to recognise that something has been entered as an answer, but it is not displaying it. 

I have replicated this issue myself and this feature had worked previously for the lecturer. My worry now is that 1 lecturer identified this issue only out of their own curiosity, how many others could this be impacting. Some lecturers may just assume the student didn't answer the question.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?  
0 Kudos
2 Replies
lyra_stephens
Community Participant

@niallCIT20 You mentioned the images were pasted into the text box. If the student did a copy and paste of an image, either by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+P or right click to Paste, the image will not be saved in Canvas. I tested this and in the instructor grade book I did see (no answer) in the answer box for the question.
The correct way to insert an image is to go to the image icon in the toolbar, see below:

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 8.49.51 AM.png

I have had similar issues, with instructors who are used to cutting and pasting from a Word document. When they try to do that in a Canvas text box, it results in a broken link and no image displaying. The best way to explain this is that Canvas is a website, not a document, so any images need to be uploaded vs just pasted.

niallCIT20
Community Member

Thanks @lyra_stephens. Unfortunately in the 54 instances I have with this issue, nothing shows in speedgrader as can be seen in the image below. 

SpeedGrader__Testing_Canvas.png

While I understand the logic behind why this issue is occurring, the fact pasting images worked previously is more my issue as well as the user not being warned the image won't be saved. When completing a time-bound exam I can see why students would screen grab something and paste in the answer as it is often quicker. None of the students affected or myself when replicating got any warning that the question was not answered or the image would not be saved.

It worries me that instructors could be grading students and not realising that students have in fact answered the questions. It opens up serious questions around reliability of new quizzes in my mind and has damaged instructors confidence in the system.

I have raised the issue with supporter since posting and apparently it is a known issue that engineering are working on.