Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a1224143
Community Member

Importing Questions from Word via Respondus

One of the best uses of Respondus 4 has been the ease of writing a quiz or exam in Word and then importing into Canvas Quizzes. In particular, a large quiz with images in the question and/or multiple choice answers is not too difficult to re-format then import.

With the pending change over to Quizzes.Next this will no longer work with Respondus. I have seen mentions of this type of feature being added to Quizzes.Next. Does anyone have any more information on this issue?

3 Replies
ejackson
Community Member

I would also like to know about this. I use Respondus ALL the time to assist our faculty in importing their quizzes and question banks into their Canvas courses. If Quizzes.Next doesn't support this and I lose Respondus functionality, that is going to make my life sheer hell.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@shaun_moon ...

First, thank you for posting your blog today: New Quizzes to replace Classic Quizzes July 2021.  It helps to know the timeline for Current/Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes.

I was asked by one of the Community Managers to find a relevant topic in this group and tag you in my reply.  Many of us are curious about Instructure's plans for a process to batch upload quiz questions into New Quizzes.  Currently, we use the Respondus 4.0 Exam Authoring Tool.  (Note, this is not the same as the Respondus LockDown Browser which I see is part of the New Quizzes timeline for Q2 of 2020.)  The Respondus 4.0 Exam Authoring Tool has been a very important software tool for us because it allows us to take a properly formatted text file, RTF file, etc. and upload that into the software...and ultimately batch-upload lots of questions all at one time into the Current/Classic Quiz interface of a Canvas course.  I even wrote a detailed blog here in the Community back in December 2015 about Respondus 4.0, and it still applies today: Batch Uploading Quiz Questions with Respondus.  What is Instructure doing to address this important need for New Quizzes ... especially once Current/Classic Quizzes won't be available at all.  I do realize that right now, there is a way to migrate Current/Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes (How do I migrate a Canvas quiz to New Quizzes?).  That's fine for now...but not for when Current/Classic Quizzes is gone for good.  As I'm sure my friend  @kona  could also tell you, that has been one of the major "deal breakers" for her school and ours to essentially not turn on New Quizzes and wait for the last possible minute when we'll be forced to use New Quizzes.  Would appreciate to hear your thoughts on this...thanks.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, all,

More availability for third-party tools will most likely be updated in this feature idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10545-new-quizzes-should-support-current-third-party-tool-func.... I'd recommend following to receive updates when available.

Thanks,

Erin