cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Importing Tests into the New Quiz LTI

I am wondering why the new Quizzes LTI will only allow a single QTI file to up load tests.  Why cannot it not be a zipped QTI file that contains all the tests an instructor needs.  Your quiz system now allows you to zip all the tests out, and then when you go to put it back up to a new course, you can choose what tests you want.   Why cannot we do this for the new Quiz LTI.  I have courses with 50 to 100 tests in them.  It will take me forever if I have to export them out of the old test system, and then put them up one by one to the new test system.

Please fix this before we all move over to the .  If not we are going to be in trouble.

Thanks

Laraine Moellendorf

Tags (2)
7 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

I second this. I have to move between 6 to 20 quizzes for over 180 classes for my teachers. Doing them on at a time will take me an eternity.

Highlighted
Explorer II

Related to this, I see the import tool requires QTI 1.2 and 2.x (.zip) files only. I am a Respondus user and that will only produce QTI 1.1.3 zip files. Attempts to import one result in an error message (which also has a "details" option, but no details are revealed).

Highlighted

aaron.bahmer@ewc.wy.edu, I've been wondering about Respondus and the new Quizzing LTI, thank you for testing and reporting on this! We use Respondus a LOT at our College and losing this functionality would be a pretty big deal for us.

Highlighted

Thank you for telling us about this! Kona is right, we use Respondus a LOT here at our College. I help faculty with getting test banks published into their Canvas courses, and we have many, MANY instructors who use it themselves. If we lose that functionality, it will be a huge mess for all of us here. I hope they take Respondus users into consideration with the new Quizzes LTI, and get things worked out between the two programs before it's released.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi moellenl@owatc.edu‌,

The single QTI import is a limitation that was put in place very early during feature development to aid in testing by controlling when and where things might break. We plan to change this and allow for import at any time, but this likely will not happen until some time after the conclusion of the beta program.

The quiz migration feature (still under development) will streamline the migration of a single Canvas quiz to the Quizzes.Next LTI. A new assignment will be created in your course and linked to the migrated assessment.

Course copy support (still under development) will extend the experience Canvas quizzes provides to Quizzes.Next LTI.

We are working hard to make it possible for users to move over once Quizzes.Next becomes generally available, but Canvas Quizzes will also remain available for some time. Hopefully these features, and knowing that your transition will not need to be abrupt, helps the future look a little less challenging.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

Highlighted

Kevin,

Do you happen to know the oldest version of ExamView that will export QTI 1.2 or 2.0 files?  The newest version our tech people have installed for us is 8.1 and it will not export in a format that Quizzes: Next can import.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, all,

Just to update this thread, here are the relevant lessons about importing QTI packages:

How do I import questions from a QTI package into an item bank in New Quizzes?  

How do I import an assessment from a QTI package in New Quizzes?  

Respondus support is currently on the timeline as indicated in https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes 

Stay tuned!

Erin