cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer

Inability to edit an item bank someone else created: bug or feature?

Jump to solution

Will the ability to edit an item bank someone else creates eventually become available? Or is it a permanent feature that item banks are tied to a person? I have actually lost sleep over this. 

Use case: I'm one of 4 IDs on my team. We share courses. If I create a course with a test that has random questions (necessitating the use of the item banks), then no one else can edit those questions. So if an instructor contacts us because s/he found a wrong answer on the final exam for a test that was created 3 years ago, unless we know who created that exam, neither we nor the instructor could edit the exam. 

Or, if there's nothing wrong with the exam, but the assessment changes and additional questions need to be added to the exam, some sections might have been created by one person and other sections by another person. Chaos! 

I'm new to Canvas, so it's possible I'm misunderstanding item banks, but my coworker and I experimented on Monday and she couldn't access my questions. Is there some sort of permission setting we can get administration to grant us that would allow us to edit someone else's item banks?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructure
Instructure

Hi venitk@uwec.edu‌,

Welcome to Canvas! You've caught Quizzes at a moment of transition. Canvas Quizzes has been an integral part of Canvas and is still the primary assessment tool. Take a look at How do I create a quiz with individual questions? 

Quizzes.Next is the re-invention of this assessment tool, and it's being built as a separate system leveraging the LTI standard. This has come with it's technical challenges, particularly in establishing the integrated user experience many have come to expect. Both systems will co-exist and the retiring of Canvas Quizzes will involve lead time that will only start once Quizzes.Next achieves solution parity.

We plan to add the ability to edit an item bank someone else creates. This has always been our plan and will not change because it's so clearly useful to instructors. It is unfortunate the feature wasn't ready for your introduction to Canvas and Quizzes.Next. There will be no special permissions needed to share. If you create the bank, you can share it with anyone. Once you have access to a bank, you will have full access to it and can share it with others. If you no longer need or want access, you can opt-out. We believe this model will reduce the need for so much duplicated content and thus better manage bank content integrity as compared to the course-based model.

Thank you for exploring the community so early into your experience with Canvas. I believe this can become a great resource for everyone and appreciate your willingness to contribute. Please think about how you want to use assessments in Canvas. If Quizzes.Next doesn't yet have what you need, stay tuned because improvements are coming.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Learner II

I agree, and I have already complained about this issue. It is a really serious problem, and I wish one of the grownups at Instructure would address it.

Ken, do you have an idea posted on the site for this that I can upvote?

No--but I will post it now, after searching to see if it hasn't already been posted.

Ideally, I would like to give Canvas admins a bunch of powers in Quizzes.Next: the ability to grant multiple users permissions in item banks (just view or also edit), and the ability to clone or export (so two instructors can independently modify and customize their own banks, without undoing each other's edits).

I've posted, and am waiting for moderation. Once I have a link, I'll post it here.

Instructure
Instructure

Hi venitk@uwec.edu‌,

Welcome to Canvas! You've caught Quizzes at a moment of transition. Canvas Quizzes has been an integral part of Canvas and is still the primary assessment tool. Take a look at How do I create a quiz with individual questions? 

Quizzes.Next is the re-invention of this assessment tool, and it's being built as a separate system leveraging the LTI standard. This has come with it's technical challenges, particularly in establishing the integrated user experience many have come to expect. Both systems will co-exist and the retiring of Canvas Quizzes will involve lead time that will only start once Quizzes.Next achieves solution parity.

We plan to add the ability to edit an item bank someone else creates. This has always been our plan and will not change because it's so clearly useful to instructors. It is unfortunate the feature wasn't ready for your introduction to Canvas and Quizzes.Next. There will be no special permissions needed to share. If you create the bank, you can share it with anyone. Once you have access to a bank, you will have full access to it and can share it with others. If you no longer need or want access, you can opt-out. We believe this model will reduce the need for so much duplicated content and thus better manage bank content integrity as compared to the course-based model.

Thank you for exploring the community so early into your experience with Canvas. I believe this can become a great resource for everyone and appreciate your willingness to contribute. Please think about how you want to use assessments in Canvas. If Quizzes.Next doesn't yet have what you need, stay tuned because improvements are coming.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Instructure

View solution in original post

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. When you say I can share the item bank with anyone, do you mean I need to actively choose people to share the bank with? I work with a team of IDs, and we all share classes based on the workload. Would I need to add each IDs name to every item bank I create? 

I'm looking forward to how Quizzes.Next shapes up. It seems like an exciting project.  

Hi venitk@uwec.edu‌,

The ability to share an item bank will initially involve the creator actively choosing people and those people, as they are added, can also share with others.

That said, all feature designs and behaviors may change over time as we learn more and new resources become available.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Instructure

My teachers are losing faith and the willingness to migrate into Quizzes.Next.  It's ridiculous to have co-teachers in a course that cannot edit a question from a bank that the other teacher created.  I am also looking for the ability to move existing question banks from Quizzes to Quizzes.Next.  Teacher do not want to re-create all that they have.  Am I missing a step along the way?