cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eric_orton
Surveyor

Is the concept of a question group gone?

Jump to solution

In the "classic" quiz engine, if I want X questions randomly pulled from a larger set of Y questions, there are two ways to accomplish this:

1. Create a bank containing Y questions. Then, create a question group linked to that bank, pulling X questions.
  2. Create a question group containing Y questions, directly in the quiz without a bank. Specify that X questions from this group be used in any given student's quiz.

It seems that in Quizzes.Next, there is no option to pull a subset of questions from a larger set without using a question bank. Is this correct?

The reason this is important is that I have a need to do this in a way that allows multiple people to create/maintain quiz questions in the course, and as of today, only the person who originally creates a Quizzes.Next banks can see it, while all "Teachers" can see questions that live in the quiz itself.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @eric_orton ‌,

Sorry for the late response here.

Today, there is no way for a group of people to share in the creation of questions that will be used with randomization.

I believe this list addresses the different parts of why this is:

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
timothy_maw
Adventurer

I said something about this over a month ago and have yet to hear a response. This is something we need, we need the ability to randomize questions and this new quiz engine simply does not allow that.

rake_9
Learner II

I believe that the ability to share a question bank will be coming along later.  That said, do you really need the ability to create a randomize group of questions in a course that doesn't use a question bank? or are you needing a way for a group of people to share in the creation of questions that will be used later?  That is, is this about randomization? or shared question banks?

I can anticipate some users who would want to do an ad hoc randomized group in a course, without having to invoke a bank, but I think that is a small group who don't necessarily need to be catered to.

Mostly, I am needing a way for a group of people to share in the creation of questions that will be used with randomization. However, another use case is a quiz that doesn't randomize which questions are presented, but does randomize the order of questions. Currently in Quizzes.Next, a bank is needed to achieve this, but maintenance of such a quiz would be a little easier if the questions could just live in the quiz.

That said, I could use a bank for the latter use case, but the former problem (inability for multiple people to see the same bank) is an absolute showstopper for us in adopting Quizzes.Next.

kristin_bayless
Community Member

Going along with the shared bank idea, I'd like to know if account-level banks are in the future. Our teachers are using Commons now to try and share quiz questions made with the quiz LTI program.

kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @eric_orton ‌,

Sorry for the late response here.

Today, there is no way for a group of people to share in the creation of questions that will be used with randomization.

I believe this list addresses the different parts of why this is:

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

View solution in original post

0 Kudos