cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Issue with Gap Fill Question on Quizzes.next

Jump to solution

Not a bug and not a question but definitely something that should either be added to the Help Guides or fixed..

As I discovered today, if you are doing a multi-part gap fill question eg

271862_gap1.PNG

And you choose a range of possible answers:

271863_snip3.PNG

And use the Word bank option

271864_gap2.PNG

You then get duplicate choices appearing.

These are fine as long as none of the duplicates is the answer.

As what happened in my lesson today (with many students), it then possible for a student to get the right answer eg green but choose the wrong green from the word bank.

It would be really useful if Canvas fixed this as it removes a good feature (word banks) with an important option (multi-part questions)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @GideonWilliams ,

I thought your issue was interesting so wanted to try and reproduce it my sandbox to see if I could figure out what was happening.  Just to clarify, what you are noticing is that if you have two blanks in a question, and the same choice options exist for each blank, then in the bank where students can drag and drop their answers the choices are duplicated so a student can pick the wrong "right" answer choice, correct?  I was able to replicate this situation, but noticed that issue doesn't exist if the student clicks on the blank so a drop-down menu is provided. 

I agree that in the directions it would be beneficial to note this.  If the option choices are different for both blanks, then there would be no problem but in the case that the option choices are not mutually exclusive duplicates will exist as options students can select. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @GideonWilliams ,

I thought your issue was interesting so wanted to try and reproduce it my sandbox to see if I could figure out what was happening.  Just to clarify, what you are noticing is that if you have two blanks in a question, and the same choice options exist for each blank, then in the bank where students can drag and drop their answers the choices are duplicated so a student can pick the wrong "right" answer choice, correct?  I was able to replicate this situation, but noticed that issue doesn't exist if the student clicks on the blank so a drop-down menu is provided. 

I agree that in the directions it would be beneficial to note this.  If the option choices are different for both blanks, then there would be no problem but in the case that the option choices are not mutually exclusive duplicates will exist as options students can select. 

View solution in original post

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Hello  @GideonWilliams , Gideon Williams' Blog‌,

This appears to be an internal logic problem that should be fixed. For multiple FIB questions, there should be x-number of distractors, some of which are designated as correct answers. Even if two blanks get the same answer, words in the list of choices for the student need to be unique. Up until this wysiwyg GUI of quizzes.next‌, the syntax for mult. FIB questions was [unique_characters].

In my estimation, what you identified IS a bug and needs to be fixed.

TY,

i_Ron