Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ewest
Community Contributor

New Quizzes Concerns

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm sure that like many of you, I've been diving into New Quizzes in lieu of the upcoming enforcement into production in March and the classic quizzes sunset this Summer.

I have some really serious concerns about this tool.

I would like to hear thoughts and discuss with fellow Canvas users to see if others share these sentiments, and hear what actions you are taking with your rollout plans.

For context, I am referencing this comparison chart from Instructure, and my own observations using the tool within my comments below. Feel free to please correct me on anything that has since been updated. I'm also not entirely clear on if every item listed in the table provided is on the road map. Either way, many of these things seem apparent that they won't be added to the tool by the time it's released, along with key components that are currently missing.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11nSS2EP0UpSM6dcuEFnoF-hC6lyqWbE9JSHELNmfG2A/edit

Rich Content Editor

Realistically, we need to start training our faculty on this tool very soon. If the Rich Content Editor is not even available at this time within the tool, but will be later, this poses numerous issues. This editor is a core part of Canvas and integral to allowing instructors build robust quiz questions, while connecting them to external tools/LTIs. Lacking this right now when we are planning training, documentation, and test groups is disappointing. This means that the tool will change between when we start our training, and whenever the RCE for quizzes is forced into production. This puts trainers and support staff in a difficult position. While a text editor may seem like small potatoes, I really don't want to be dealing with these kinds of changes to a tool in the future that should already be in place. For those that interface with instructors who rely on the availability of core features like the RCE, this is a big deal. We need this added to new quizzes ASAP. Please forgive my candor here, but this makes the tool seem incomplete. It is also absolutely essential to have the accessibility checker present...

Assessment

Having the ability to view student analysis reports and export these things to CSV is crucial to our assessment and reporting processes, not only just for individual instructors, but on the program/institutional level. Why is this not being included in the new quiz tool upon release?

Permissions

How come the designer role won't work with New Quizzes? In some cases, we rely on this role to allow users to assist with building content in courses, but who are not instructors of record, and thus should have no access to grades. We can't just get around this by using an instructor role. This takes away part of the function and convenience of having a designer role. How come a default system role is not compatible?

Quiz Exports

Quiz exports so useful to have. It seems pretty standard for LMS quizzing tools to have an export option. How come it's not there?

Test Environment

What's up with New Quizzes not being added into test?

Blueprints

Why is New Quizzes being excluded from having the ability to be locked within a blueprint page? Locking is very important to many workflows. This should be no exception.

Surveys

I really wish surveys were staying. This was a great tool for instructors, as it does not necessitate them to learn another survey platform. It consolidates their workflows to the LMS with features they are familiar with. It's disappointing to see this go. 

Summary

I really hope Instructure does something about these things. They are major components, and it feels like they are being taken away with no real solution. The new question types and moderation settings, as well as banking and outcome alignment are all big improvements, don't get me wrong. I almost get the sense that despite these major improvements, more is instead being taken away from the tool. We really need to see these things sharpened up and fully developed before it is enforced. At least give us the RCE and compatibility with our system roles before announcing a change that we need to prepare for. It just feels like this should be delayed.

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to your comments.

Best,

Evan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @ewest , thanks to your thoughtful feedback as well as others in the community, the timeline has been extended. Many of the items you list will still be coming in the first half of this year. All the details can be found here Classic Quiz Sunset Timeline (Subscribe!) 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
epulham
Community Contributor

Thanks for adding your perspective! I think you’d like to read two blog posts of a similar nature. 
mine is called “Major New Quizzes Concerns” and the other, which is very thorough and has a really nice comment thread is “New Quizzes needs to be delayed”

we will continue to try to get our voices and perspectives heard. 

timothy_maw
Community Champion

This is a great summary, and I share all of these concerns. It's frustrating how long New Quizzes has been a product and still presents all of these issues. I can only hope enough complaints get Instructure's notice.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @ewest , thanks to your thoughtful feedback as well as others in the community, the timeline has been extended. Many of the items you list will still be coming in the first half of this year. All the details can be found here Classic Quiz Sunset Timeline (Subscribe!) 

View solution in original post