cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wendy_stuck
Community Participant

New Quizzes: I need to embed audio, video and pictures/images

I am a World Language Teacher.

New Quizzes does not allow me to embed audio links, video clips or pictures/images.

These items are crucial for World Languages.

* I need to provide audio clips for listening comprehension activities.

* Students need to be able to submit audio and video clips to demonstrate speaking proficiency skills.

* I need to incorporate videos for instruction, and more...

* Audio, video and pictures/images are crucial for our Special Education Students and our ESL /ELL students.

The images are also crucial for Mathematics Teachers.

Canvas, I hope you will make this update.

13 Replies
isabel_anievas
Community Participant

Thanks for bringing it up this issue.

I completely agree. I have the exact same concern.

I teach Spanish and I use multiple videos and recordings in most of my Quiz Instructions and many of my quiz questions.

I hope the New Quizzes editor will soon allow us to embed videos, including Canvas Studio Videos.

I have been relying heavily on Canvas Studio, which is very versatile, since it allows us to add and edit captions, edit the details of our videos, add on screen quizzes, etc.  

I have hundreds of quizzes that rely on videos and recordings (both in the Instructions and in the questions). Many of them with embedded Canvas Studio Videos. 

I have tried the different recommended options for migrating Classic Quizzes into New Quizzes but my Canvas Studio Videos do not show up in my migrated quizzes, so I really hope this issue will be resolved before we move to new quizzes. 

Thanks again for bringing up this issue!

I would like to start migrating my quizzes, but I cannot do it without a full editor that allows me to embed videos and recordings (and ideally Canvas Studio videos as well).

themidiman
Community Champion

I know we will have similar questions about this. It's hard to know if this will be done in time or before the official feature parity release date for New Quizzes. It's "par for the course" when expecting something to match what currently exists in Classic Quizzes, and currently isn't in New Quizzes. It's going to be painful to see faculty I support want to take the plunge into New Quizzes when all their required features aren't going to be there for quite some time. 

Let's hope Instructure gets us a better timeline for when certain feature parity milestones are going to be met. 

cnunes
Community Participant

I teach Sign Language.  If I can not embed media, I will not be able to teach online. This is VERY disappointing...

wendy_stuck
Community Participant

Is there a specific person or group to contact within Canvas that you recommend?

wendy_stuck
Community Participant

Is there a specific person or group within the Canvas infrastructure that you recommend I contact?

briddell
Community Participant

In building a New Quiz, I am able to use the Upload Media Icon to embed .mp4 video files and .jpg, .png, .gif images, but not .m4a audio files. For audio files it seems to restrict me to .mp3 or .wav or .ogg.  I can't see any way to embed Canvas Studio videos. It would be ridiculous from a user perspective if the recommended process were to download them from Studio and then upload them as an .mp4 so I hope that is NOT Canvas's answer to this question. Also, a student should be able to record or embed a Canvas Studio video or audio as their answer to the question. This does not seem possible from either the file upload question type or the essay question type with Rich Content Editor checked.

UploadAudio.png

isabel_anievas
Community Participant

Great point @briddell!

I got a good tip from a colleague on how to work around this issue and embed a Canvas Studio in the Instructions of a New Quiz (not in the questions though, which as far as I can tell have no editor function that allow to include any media).

My savvy colleague's tip  to embed a Canvas Studio Video in the Instructions of a new quiz is:

"You can't import videos from Studio directly, but you can create a public link and embed that code into a New Quiz question. 
In a nutshell, you go to the Studio Library and click on the 3 dots (lower righthand corner).  Choose Share Media and click Create Public Link.  Copy the embed code and paste it in the quiz question.  Use the "Insert/Edit media button and you'll see an embed option"

I tried this option, and I was able to embed a Canvas Studio video in the Instructions of a New Quiz (minus all the Canvas Studio functionality: no details, no comments, no on screen quizzes, etc. which are arguably the main point of using Canvas Studio. But you can at least watch the video 🙂 It will make for a long and cumbersome process of migration to the New Quizzes if we don't have an easier alternative.

Classic Quizzes also allow us to quickly record short media (audio and video) directly into our quick questions, without having to import it. And I have not found yet an efficient way of migrating all my old media in the hundreds of quizzes that I will need to migrate. I will continue to play around with it.

Still hoping for a better and smoother solution for all of us trying to create and migrate quizzes that are heavy on media.

Thanks for any other ideas or suggestions!

isabel_anievas
Community Participant

Sorry! I misspoke before! The questions do have the same editor functionality that the instructions section does, but, as far as I can tell, they do not currently allow to directly record or create new media in them (unless you import it) or to easily embed Canvas Studio Videos (with their full functionality). Please, correct me if I am wrong.

briddell
Community Participant

This is interesting. In my New Quizzes, in a Question Stem I can upload media, including videos. See video. 

I agree about the importance of being able to access Studio Artifacts for New Quizzes for both questions (for faculty) and answers (for students)