New Quizzes - Question Stimulus Titles Are Visible to Students... So Be Careful

MaxwellHennings
Community Member

Hello,

Recently I was asked by my undergraduate institution to serve on a pilot test of new quizzes to identify issues that might cause problems when new quizzes is rolled out institution-wide.  One feature I have enjoyed was the ability to create a question stimulus and then attach questions to it.  Unfortunately, I just realized that I had been using the "Title" component of the stimulus incorrectly and figured I might point this out to anyone else that didn't notice.

Question titles, for everything other than stimulus title apparently, are not visible to students and act as a way for instructors to organize questions and items banks.  However, the title of a stimulus is visible to the students.  In fact, the title actually shows up after the instructions (which makes no sense to me).  So if like me, you were using the titles and assuming that stimulus titles were handled the same way as other questions... don't.  For instance, on my last exam, I was asking a fill-in-the-blank text entry question related to the stimulus and I had actually included the correct text answer as part of the title... (bonus points to observant students I guess).  It would have been nice for canvas to add a note explaining that the stimulus title is student visible, unlike other question titles.

-Max