cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b_w_reid
Community Participant

New Quizzes - Reassign Assignment

Will the relatively new 'reassign assignment' button be added to new quizzes?

4 Replies
kroeninm
Community Champion

I don't yet see this option on other LTI assignments but New Quizzes technically is an assignment so should be interesting to see if this is added.

In New Quizzes, in case you haven't seen it though, there is a new moderation option to "reopen" a quiz for a particular student. So now the moderation options allow instructor to provide additional attempts to students or to allow students to reopen an existing attempt and finish it.  It's helpful in situations when students have a technical issue and the instructor doesn't want to have them retake the full quiz or exam.

Melanie

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Hi @b_w_reid , it would be nice to have it, but the documentation for Reassign Assignment How do I reassign an assignment in SpeedGrader? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com) states:

• The Reassign Assignment button is not available for quizzes or graded discussions.
  • The Reassign Assignment button is not available for External Tools (LTI), on paper, and no submission assignments.

Since New Quizzes is both a Quiz and an LTI it seems doubtful!  But as @kroeninm wrote, the "moderation option to 'reopen' a quiz for a particular student" as well as normal moderation options to add extra attempts might work for what you want. 

If you want the option added in speedgrader, maybe starting an Idea Conversation would be the next step.  It is nice to have a comment "prompt" to ask the student to take the quiz again if you allow multiple attempts, also adding a to-do in the list view dashboard with the Redo label.  I wonder if that is also in the to-do list in the course?

b_w_reid
Community Participant

Thank you @Nancy_Webb_CCSF @kroeninm , very useful points. The Moderation section is useful, although whilst we are on the subject, why are these options listed under 'Moderate'? I think the terminology here is a little confusing? 'Manage Attempt' or 'Attempt Options' might be a little more apt?

I'd graded the assignment in Speedgrader, so it seems a bit of a pain to navigate back to the quiz in order to 're-open' the attempt (quite a useful feature), provide additional attempts, or adjust the time. Imagine you had to do this for a significant amount of students. A button for new quizzes in speedgrader would be really useful to take you to these attempt options.

Your thoughts welcomed...

kroeninm
Community Champion

I agree with your thoughts @b_w_reid .  "Moderation" was probably used to keep consistent with the classic quizzes in which "Moderate Quiz" is the option that faculty use to adjust attempts or accessibility.  So you might put in a feature request.  "Manage Attempts" might be more intuitive once the migration is completed and most faculty move over.

Since New Quizzes is an LTI, it is a bit more disconnected from the Canvas course.  In Classic quizzes, the Manage Quiz option is right next to the Speedgrader option so it would be helpful to add in this shortcut.  I'm seeing a few of these disconnects as I use New Quizzes.  With proctoring on the faculty side for example, it's a bit of back and forth, faculty can't enable proctoring quite as intuitively as the course menu is not visible, they have to return to their course and enable it, and then got into New Quizzes to set the proctoring options within the quiz.  

Melanie