cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer III

One Stimulus, Multiple Questions

Are there any plans to allow for question grouping with one stimulus? Currently, if you add a stimulus, you can only display one question adjacent to that stimulus. If want to ask multiple questions with that stimulus, you have to add stimulus again and create the next question. In the quiz settings, if you display all the questions at once, students see repeats of the same stimulus as they scroll down the quiz which is visually messy and confusing (especially to our elementary students). The other option is to set the quiz up to present one question at a time, but from a pedagogical perspective, this isn't always what we want to do. There are cases where those questions piggyback off one another and should see them on the same screen. This is a feature in the standardized tests our students take and we're trying to create Canvas assessments that align with that experience. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Member

If I understand you correctly, I believe you can already add multiple questions to one stimulus question. Once you create the stimulus, click the blue "Attach Question" button to create your questions. It should continue to be visible with each question you create. On some screens, you may have to scroll down to see the "Attach Question" button at the bottom of the right panel. Also, if in your quiz, you choose to show only one question at a time, the stimulus panel will remain static at the left, and each question associated with it will appear at the right next to it (one at a time) as the student moves through the questions.

Thanks Perry, I think I needed to clarify what our curriculum office wants the PARCC-style questions. A student would have one stimulus with, say, a dozen questions. Of those dozen questions, 2 or 3 at a time may be grouped for pedagogical purposes or visual simplification on the screen. If you want to chunk the information on the screen, you have to then setup a new stimulus (with the same reading passage) and the corresponding questions. On the screen, you see a horizontal panel with the stimulus on the left and the question on the right, but right below that is the next panel/row. The text in the 2 passages butt up against one another with little whitespace, and longer reading passages will contain horizontal and vertical scrollbars -- all of this makes for a really busy screen that is difficult for young and emerging readers. 

299126_2018-12-03_16-31-57.png

Right now the configuration options are: show everything or show one question at a time. We'd like to see a question group feature where the teacher can identify the questions they'd like their students to see on the same screen before moving on to the next group of questions. This doesn't even need to apply to a stimulus question: perhaps an instructor would want to group all their multiple choice together and their short answer/essay questions separately, or in an "answer one of the three questions below"-type question, those questions could be grouped on a separate screen from the other questions on the quiz

I thought there must be more to this than met the eye. I had not seen how these questions display "back to back."  Thank you for the explanation. It's very helpful, and I agree that there needs to be more flexibility in how these questions can be presented. 

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi audra_agnelly@hcpss.org  I was reviewing older Quizzes.Next questions and came across this post.  I thought that I would bring to your attention, if you are not already aware, that it is possible to submit ideas to be considered for future development.  

Most of the discussion about new features in Quizzes.Next relates to adding functionality to bring it up to parity with the classic quiz engine, but it is always good in my opinion to have ideas out there that we can all post about and vote on. 

If you are not familiar with the feature idea process but possibly interested in posting one, the following documents would be helpful:

How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14904-75187841184 

Best wishes!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi audra_agnelly@hcpss.org.  There hasn't been a recent post in this thread for some time so I am going to go ahead and mark this as "assumed answered" for now, but this can be changed if needed and marking the question as assumed answered doesn't prevent continued discussion in the thread.  

All the best!