cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grahamb
Community Participant

Plans for Open-Sourcing New Quizzes?

Jump to solution

@shaun_moon ‌ - I read your post (New Quizzes to replace Classic Quizzes July 2021) about the upcoming deprecation of Classic Quizzes. What is Instructure's timeline for open-sourcing New Quizzes so it can be used with on-premise open-source Canvas Installations?

I'm the technical lead for Canvas at Simon Fraser University – one of, if not the, largest higher-education open-source Canvas installations in the world – and found the lack of any mention in your post of open-sourcing New Quizzes quite troubling. Every time I've brought up the subject of New Quizzes and open-source Canvas with Instructure employees, including those in senior leadership positions, I've been told that the intent has always been to open-source New Quizzes so that self-hosted schools can use it in their environments. Understandably, no one would commit to a timeline, but I was told by multiple people in no uncertain words that it would be released.

I'm hoping that the lack of mention of open-sourcing the New Quizzes tool is simply an oversight or intentional absence due to the audience of the blog post, most of whom open-source are Instructure-hosted – they wouldn't necessarily care about your plans for open-sourcing New Quizzes. However, as a large institution that uses open-source Canvas, the removal of Classic Quizzes without anything to replace it would be a nightmare.

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers,
Graham.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Graham,

In the interim for a response from our product team, I know that open source is something the team does want to do, but there are additional features that need to be built and other milestones achieved before it will be in a position to be transitioned as an open source feature. 

As indicated on the New Quizzes Timeline (see User Group: New Quizzes) the timeline indicates ongoing feature additions and improvements, all of which will continue to be announced as available.

Erin

View solution in original post

6 Replies
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Graham,

In the interim for a response from our product team, I know that open source is something the team does want to do, but there are additional features that need to be built and other milestones achieved before it will be in a position to be transitioned as an open source feature. 

As indicated on the New Quizzes Timeline (see User Group: New Quizzes) the timeline indicates ongoing feature additions and improvements, all of which will continue to be announced as available.

Erin

View solution in original post

grahamb
Community Participant

Hi Erin,

Can Instructure commit that the old quiz functionality will not be removed until New Quizzes is available in a form that open-source Canvas sites can use? A LMS without a quizzing engine isn't a very useful LMS.

Hi, Graham,

I'm sure something will be done before the end-of-life dates noted in the home page of the quizzes group. (Just for reference: New Quizzes User Group)

Thanks,

Erin 

Hi @erinhmcmillan  The university of Bergen also have the same question: when will now quizzes be made available as open source? 

grahamb
Community Participant

@erinhmcmillan : now that there's an official timeline for retiring Classic Quizzes, what is the official response on open-source availability to New Quizzes?

jai_edgar
Community Member

@erinhmcmillan : I understand open-source is not a priority, but communication of further developments would be greatly appreciated. Clearly there are organizations who will be significantly impacted by this decision.

@grahamb: Thanks for driving this conversation and for generously sharing your open-source expertise with my organization. You're a legend!