Priority Gathering for the New Quizzes Roadmap

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Over the course of the last several weeks, I have been synthesizing data from several sources to understand the concerns impacting priorities for New Quizzes. After examining the suggestions posted in my previous blog post, reviewing prior roadmaps, and chatting with the global product team representatives, the customer success team, and various customers representing various segments, the themes I’m seeing are as follows:

Content is King

One of the learning opportunities which Covid brought to educators across the globe was creating content in an ecosystem. In a time when online learning was new (and intimidating!) to so many, the ability to share and collaborate on quiz content was a wonderful surprise. The reusability of the content provides a value add over traditional course creation—but there are currently limitations in New Quizzes preventing broad reusability. 

Accessibility & Accommodations are Critical

Accessibility is non-negotiable; we cannot leave any students without the opportunity to learn and demonstrate their understanding. Many customers use third party tools to assess if a specific quiz has been designed as a11y. Additionally, the audio tools of RCE and quiz printing are needed to support some students for accessibility/ accommodation.

Don’t make me move Quizzes with a Uhaul

Customers would like to just wake up and see all Classic Quizzes available as a New Quiz they can enable. Legitimate concerns relate back to content and that it would be catastrophic to lose content. Additionally, customers transitioning from Classic to New Quizzes require lead time of approximately 6 months to test any migrations and handle the change management of preparing educators.  Rollout needs to be coordinated to harmonize with their next round of course development while also not impacting current student assignments.

These break down into the following big buckets of items to prioritize:

• Item Banks at Account Level
  • Item Bank Permissions
  • Quizzes Public APIs (Integrate with third party tools)
  • Integrate New RCE
  • Migration tooling (Quizzes and Quiz Banks)
  • Blueprint: Item Update/ Quiz Locking/ Item Banks
  • Print New Quizzes
  • Partial Credit: Question Type Expansion
  • Analysis CSV: Teacher/ Student
  • To Do: Teacher/Student

It can be challenging to meet the needs of such a diverse user set, but it’s actually one of the things that I love the most. 

How do we make sure that we can harmonize the needs of those who are using New Quizzes already, those who want to be using New Quizzes but can’t, and those who don’t particularly care where their content lives but want it all to be there—no matter what! Our costumers are also varied across North America, South America, Europe and the Asia/ Australia markets. Across these regions, customers are also segmented by the needs of K-12 or Higher Education. I’ve been gathering as much feedback as possible to make sure these needs are all considered. If we can’t do everything, this data will help make sure we’re doing the most important things.

If you feel that a critical barrier is preventing you from using New Quizzes and is not represented on this list, I’d like to know about it. Please add a comment below, unless you added on my previous TL;DR post already. (If you’ve left a comment on a prior post, please just point me in the right direction!) 

Someone mentioned that it would be nice to allow the community to provide priority feedback. I completely agree. It would be great to hear your thoughts. I still have to play mix master and figure out timing/capacity and associate that with the most knowledgeable people to perform a particular task. However, it is wonderful to be able to pair that with the community sentiment. Please take a moment to let me know which of the above priorities are most important to you by choosing a selection on this  Poll .

Tags (1)

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

65 Comments