Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
des21

Question Bank Migration to Item Bank

Jump to solution

I know there is a workaround to migrate question banks (classic quizzes) to item banks (new quizzes) but this is very cumbersome for users with extensive banks. Do you know if/when a bank migration tool will be released to make this quick and easy? Teachers would like to take care of this prior to the end of the 2021 school year so they are prepared for the next school year when classic quizzes is not available for student use. Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdonisH
Community Member

Hi @des21 ,

According to this Q&A Transcript, a Quiz Bank migration tool is currently in development and is expected sometime in Dec. 2021. 

Su Sorensen had also mentioned that this is being worked on in the Product Blog.

According to the Classic Quizzes Sunset Timeline, Classic Quizzes can still be created by instructors until July of 2022. After that, Classic Quizzes can no longer be created, but existing Classic Quizzes can still be used until June of 2023. 

I hope that helps! 

Edit: An upcoming Quiz Bank migration tool was also discussed in a recent Canvas webinar from September 2021 (at about the 46-minute mark). Quiz Bank migration was a source of anxiety for some of our instructors and I was happy to hear that migration tools will be offered.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
des21

On the FAQ: New Quizzes page, the question Can I migrate question banks from classic quizzes? has the following answer:

• Currently, Question Banks cannot be imported into New Quizzes as Item Banks. 

Will a migration tool for question banks be available before Classic Quizzes is turned off in July 2021?

Thank you.

bpfingst
Community Member

Just in case you haven't already found this workflow for migrating Classic Quiz Question Banks to New Quizzes Item Banks:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bdljGjOGW3FZZEznkq5UeAEo7BkMjRzBhEKD_zmdiuw/edit?usp=sharing

It looks like a lot of steps, but once you've done it a couple of times it's much quicker, especially for banks with a large number of questions.

-Brett

AdonisH
Community Member

Hi @des21 ,

According to this Q&A Transcript, a Quiz Bank migration tool is currently in development and is expected sometime in Dec. 2021. 

Su Sorensen had also mentioned that this is being worked on in the Product Blog.

According to the Classic Quizzes Sunset Timeline, Classic Quizzes can still be created by instructors until July of 2022. After that, Classic Quizzes can no longer be created, but existing Classic Quizzes can still be used until June of 2023. 

I hope that helps! 

Edit: An upcoming Quiz Bank migration tool was also discussed in a recent Canvas webinar from September 2021 (at about the 46-minute mark). Quiz Bank migration was a source of anxiety for some of our instructors and I was happy to hear that migration tools will be offered.

bryan_tayman
Community Member

So happy to hear a quiz bank --> item bank migration tool is coming!     Many teachers have asked about this as we push them to New Quizzes.

Is there any update on Question Bank to Item Bank migration tool?

The work-around of saving banks as an old quiz, exporting as QTI, and importing that to make a new bank is very clunky.