cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agschmid
Adventurer

Question Groups Import

I've been doing some testing with bulk importing, (Common Cartridge and QTI zip), classic quizzes and importing individual quiz (qti zip) files into an Item Bank.

Importing a classic quiz which contains question groups that were created by adding the questions right into the group in the quiz, (not pulling from a question bank), does not display any errors and if published, actually works for the student. (The correct number of questions/points and the questions from that question group in the classic quiz are all correct.) Unfortunately, there is no way for the instructor to be able to view or edit these questions. I did file a ticket for question groups created inside the quiz itself.

Below is a screen shot from an imported quiz that uses question groups created right in the classic quiz:

308950_pastedImage_1.png

For random draw quizzes created in classic quizzes, when they import, errors display on the page when the imported quiz is opened. I have been able to get around that by importing a quiz into Item Banks for each bank used in classic quizzes, (include all questions), then just selecting the new Item Bank for each random draw part.

309017_pastedImage_2.png

309018_pastedImage_3.png

Has anyone discovered a way to access the questions as an instructor when they come from Question Groups created inside the quiz itself and not from a question bank?

4 Replies
ryan_corris
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hello agschmid!  I can share with you what my experience has been working with quiz question groups‌ in classic quizzes‌.  First, I want to address your question: Has anyone discovered a way to access the questions as an instructor when they come from Question Groups created inside the quiz itself and not from a question bank?  When quizzes are created using question groups, they are actually pulling the questions from question banks.  I just wanted to make sure this was concept was established based on your question.

With that being said, the question banks are not a part of the quiz, the are a part of the course they are created in (unless they were created at the account level).  This is why when importing question banks from one course to another, (How do I import a question bank from one Canvas course to another?‌) you need to import them separately from the quizzes.  The first time I used question groups in a quiz and imported the quiz into another course, I did not understand why the quiz imported but there were no questions.  Once I realized that the question banks were not actually a part of the quiz, it helped me make more sense of things.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the differences between question banks and item banks and how to export and import into new quizzes.  However, I am guessing that the quiz you imported is still looking for the question bank/item bank to find the questions because that is actually what it was doing in Classic Quizzes as well.  The question bank was available to pull the questions from.  Unless the item bank is created in new quizzes, it may not know where to pull the questions from.

Hi  @ryan_corris  I understand about importing the question banks and had all that working when I did the testing a year ago. The one problem I ran into that I couldn't find an easy work-around for was "question groups that were created by adding the questions right into the group in the quiz, (not pulling from a question bank)". I was trying to figure out where they "live" and if there was an easy way to get at them.

Well, thank you agschmid! You helped me learn something today.  I was not aware that you could add questions to the question group directly in the quiz.  I was under the impression that they needed to be brought in from a question bank.  After reading your response, I did a little more research and explored.  Your question makes more sense to me now.

You're welcome  @ryan_corris ‌. I have learned many new things through the Community and have found creative solutions, so am happy I was able to contribute to learning new things Smiley Happy