cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Quizzes LTI and LockDown Browser

Jump to solution

Is there a plan to make the new Quizzes LTI compatible with LockDown Browser? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

tpavlic@asu.edu 

I think you missed this part 

the User Group: New Quizzes has a clear timeline that is also being updated more frequently!  

* By the way - Respondus Lockdown Browser is on that Timeline *

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

I don't know if there are any Respondus representatives in the Canvas Community, but I'll share what Respondus' Nick Laboda has said via email when I asked him a few weeks ago:

"Right now, the ball is in Instructure’s court. We are ready to do the development work but are waiting on them. I would encourage you to reach out to your Instructure rep and let them know how important this is to you. Hopefully it will push things up on their development roadmap."

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

We are aware of this need and are working to finalize some large features, and to put the right pieces in place for third-party integrations with our new assessment engine. We have had many discussions with Respondus and other partners about what we need to do to get the right end-points in place for their use.  This is on our radar, but it does take some time.  We appreciate your patience as we continue to bring you a world-class assessment engine.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

Highlighted
Learner II

Any updates? It has almost been a year. I work at the largest university in the USA, and someone made the foolish decision to switch from BlackBoard to Canvas which caused enough migration headaches just getting everything into Quizzes. Formula-questions were not handled properly and had to be manually touched, as well as any questions that used images or mathematics in the answers or student feedback text. We're all dreading the forced move to Quizzes.Next, which will be yet another migration. At the moment, Quizzes.Next is a non-starter for a wide range of reasons. However, for our on-line portfolio (which is also very large), those long list of reasons ALSO include this issue with not being able to properly lock-down the browser.

Given how much of a headache was the botched BlackBoard-to-Canvas migration, we would all LIKE to just start using Quizzes.Next so that we don't have to worry about another botched migration from Instructure, but we can't even do that because we cannot ensure that our online students won't be abusing this particular hole in Quizzes.Next. 

Canvas largely seems half baked. Does it really take this long for the product to become usable at scale? This isn't a priority at Instructure? What is more important? Being able to drag cards around the Dashboard was never something that I cared about... and yet... that's the big feature we get while these other feature requests and bugs just become an everyday part of life working with Canvas...

Highlighted
Community Member

Is there any update to this issue? It would be nice to roll out New Quizzes along with New Grades this winter, but without LDB New Quizzes isn't a consideration.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Yeesh, Ted...sounds like you got off to a bad start with Canvas. Hopefully, the past 8 months have improved. We love Canvas and this is far and away the most negative thing I've heard about Instructure and their products.

Cheers to a better Canvas future!

Highlighted

Hi Ted,

Sharing your frustrations and observations.  We began doing large-scale (+1000), LMS, BYOD, wifi, inclass midterm and final exams in 2012 in WebCT Vista.  We survived migrations to Bb relatively unscathed and during our RFP selection process, the assessment engine was of highest priority and we were assured that all would be fine.  It is not.  No doubt Instructure changed the market with their front-end UX and instructor 'ease of build' but the lack of attention to the 'back of house' functionality such as the assessment tools and the gradebook now need the same.  If I could wave a magic wand, I would resurrect the WebCT Vista assessment engine.  Many may shudder at that as it wasn't easy, but once you figured out how to fine-tune it, it was solid.

Highlighted
Surveyor

I share the apprehension our canvas trainer reported that starting this fall the standard quiz may not work as canvas pushes for adoption of quizzes lti. Honestly from what I've seen it's a great program but without LDB no one on campus will utilize it. I'm in nursing and out department is in full blown panic. The online quizzes have helped our students score higher on the NCLEX by getting them use to computerized testing but students are so likly to screenshot an exam or try to log in from home or another computer on campus during a review or while the exam is open that we can't risk losing the integrity of our exams. My Dean is even talking about looking for other options. 

Highlighted

thornton.d@rhodesstate.edu, you may rest assured that this:

starting this fall the standard quiz may not work as canvas pushes for adoption of quizzes lti

is not accurate. We have not yet set a date for when Classic Quizzes will no longer be available, but we will provide plenty of notice and lead time for this change. Generally speaking, Upcoming Canvas Changes is a good resource to follow to stay on top of major changes.

Highlighted
Surveyor

Looks like they'll need to sort it out before then:

345451_Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 10.24.17.png