cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghinck
Community Participant

Quizzes.Next Preview function

Hi- it is critical to have a preview available within the quiz itself.  It looks like currently we can only preview from student view which means that the quiz has to be published in order to preview.  If we publish, the students can view.  Is there a work around for this?

34 Replies
Community Participant

Whenever I use the student view and try and reset the student view, it does not work for quizzes.next and I cant edit a question as an instructor because "a student has taken the exam"...I have to edit a copy of the question.

So, I would like to have a preview button as well. (and/or fix the reset student view to affect quizzes.next as well)

ghinck
Community Participant

I have the same issue. 

You can use the student view function in the Canvas course or you can masquerade as a student.  Preview mode is on our roadmap.

ghinck
Community Participant

Glad to hear it is on the roadmap!  The problem with masquerading as a student or using student view is that it has to be published before you can preview.  We generally don't want to allow students access before we have previewed.

There is a really easy work-round for this...........

• Assign the quiz to just the "Test" Student,
  • Publish the quiz,
  • View as Test Student,
  • Reset Test Student,
  • Un-publish quiz,
  • Assign quiz to everyone.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

jeneen_hill
Community Contributor

Hi-

I am trying to do the above steps to preview my quiz, and I am a the step "reset test student," but I cannot find a place to reset student. Could you give more specific directs on the reset? It is not found under the "moderate" button.

Thanks in advance. 

Jeneen Hill

Community Participant

hit the return button in the upper right to get out of the LTI, then you should see it at the bottom.

The only downside is although it resets the grade and attempt, the quiz still knows someone accessed the quiz and you cannot edit the question as if it were untouched, you get that note that warns you that you have to edit a copy...not sure if that matters too much since it is the test student.

Hi  @jeneen_hill ‌

When you go to settings and click "View as Student", Canvas then puts you into a student view mode, and a colored banner displays at the bottom reminding you you are in student view. It has two buttons on the right - one to exits student view, and one to reset the test student. When you click any buttons, Canvas removes any activity that the Test Student might have accomplished - including their attempt on the quiz. This permits you to un-publish the quiz even though you had just made an attempt as a student.

You can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10058-415261153 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

jeneen_hill
Community Contributor

Thank you for the information!  I do need to edit the point values of a question that the "test student" took.  Do I have to edit the copy?

Thanks so much!

Jeneen