Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghinck

Quizzes.Next Preview function

Hi- it is critical to have a preview available within the quiz itself.  It looks like currently we can only preview from student view which means that the quiz has to be published in order to preview.  If we publish, the students can view.  Is there a work around for this?

34 Replies
Community Participant

Whenever I use the student view and try and reset the student view, it does not work for quizzes.next and I cant edit a question as an instructor because "a student has taken the exam"...I have to edit a copy of the question.

So, I would like to have a preview button as well. (and/or fix the reset student view to affect quizzes.next as well)

I am seeing the same issue. I am now editing some other version of these questions. I should be able to preview the quiz and not have to go into student view.  You can do this in the other quiz creator in Canvas easily, why not here? 

ghinck

I have the same issue. 

You can use the student view function in the Canvas course or you can masquerade as a student.  Preview mode is on our roadmap.

Glad to hear it is on the roadmap!  The problem with masquerading as a student or using student view is that it has to be published before you can preview.  We generally don't want to allow students access before we have previewed.

There is a really easy work-round for this...........

• Assign the quiz to just the "Test" Student,
  • Publish the quiz,
  • View as Test Student,
  • Reset Test Student,
  • Un-publish quiz,
  • Assign quiz to everyone.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

There isn't a test student option in the settings for our instance of Quizzes.Next.

0 Kudos

Is there a currently working workaround for this critical issue?  I took my quiz twice in Student View, reset the student over and over, and the Moderator View shows three Test Students, two of which have taken the quiz.

jeneen_hill
Community Contributor

Hi-

I am trying to do the above steps to preview my quiz, and I am a the step "reset test student," but I cannot find a place to reset student. Could you give more specific directs on the reset? It is not found under the "moderate" button.

Thanks in advance. 

Jeneen Hill

Community Participant

hit the return button in the upper right to get out of the LTI, then you should see it at the bottom.

The only downside is although it resets the grade and attempt, the quiz still knows someone accessed the quiz and you cannot edit the question as if it were untouched, you get that note that warns you that you have to edit a copy...not sure if that matters too much since it is the test student.

jeneen_hill
Community Contributor

Thank you for the information!  I do need to edit the point values of a question that the "test student" took.  Do I have to edit the copy?

Thanks so much!

Jeneen

0 Kudos

Hi  @jeneen_hill ‌

When you go to settings and click "View as Student", Canvas then puts you into a student view mode, and a colored banner displays at the bottom reminding you you are in student view. It has two buttons on the right - one to exits student view, and one to reset the test student. When you click any buttons, Canvas removes any activity that the Test Student might have accomplished - including their attempt on the quiz. This permits you to un-publish the quiz even though you had just made an attempt as a student.

You can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10058-415261153 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

jeneen_hill
Community Contributor

Thank you for the information.  I must have ignored (yikes!) the reset button, and did not do that.  Is there another way for me to reset student?

Thanks,

Jeneen

0 Kudos

Yeah, but you cannot edit the quiz as if someone did not take the test. 

0 Kudos
hakan_erdogmus

It is extremely frustrating that such a basic functionality as Preview is still not available after half a year since the first post on this thread.  The "Test Student" workaround (which is highly arguably "easy" any way) is not working for me because even though I can see the "Test Student" in the gradebook, I can't see it in People view, nor when I try to assign a quiz to a single student ("Test Student" isn't being picked up by the search function). So basically, I am stuck, and thinking about abandoning Quiz.Next and revert back to the default Quiz functionality, which, compared to Blackboard, is very unsophisticated, and frankly painful to deal with. If there are any suggestions for external add-ins to Canvas for quizzes, I'll happy to give them a try. I am starting to regret my institution's switch from Blackboard to Canvas. 

Hi  @hakan_erdogmus ‌,

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. It is fair to point out that an assessment preview feature has been requested for some time. In fact, since we have this in Canvas Quizzes it is obvious we have been aware of the usefulness of this feature for a while. A solution is planned for a future release. Over the past development period this feature has ranked as less urgent than other features we have developed and improved during the beta program. We have continued to use the beta program to test, validate, harden, and improve on features that are less clear cut.

From the contents of your post it seems like your activities are more thorough than a simple preview. Specifically, using people view and assigning an assessment to a single student. There are many other users like you who -- as part of training, instructional design development, or general testing -- have opted to create a test course with some test student accounts. This is really the best way to experience the interplay of various scenarios, functionality, and settings. Your institution's Canvas admin should be able to help you set this up.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

The ability to preview is basic functionality.  Please stop adding features, and attend to basic functionality.

This, exactly this. There is zero excuse for preview functionality to not be one of the core elements built into a quiz/test tool.

hakan_erdogmus

Thank you for your response. Yes, it's true that I am a power user (also a software engineering professor). But I still find the justification lacking. A sandbox environment may be helpful for evaluating a new product at the beginning to make a use/no-use decision, but it's not practical at all during actual operation with an enterprise-grade product such as Canvas, where it is crucial to quickly or organically assess features as they are being used and discover unexpected interactions among them. In a beta product, it's not a good idea to regress by removing valuable features from the current product. Preview is not the only feature that appears to have been removed in Quizzes.next. Partial credit for multiple-answer questions (you might as well entirely remove that question category) and controls for quiz result visibility are others. Yet another one is ability to edit the questions/answers once the quiz has been tested via the Student View.  These regressions don't just frustrate your power users, but effectively make the beta product useless for them. They also break their confidence in the product. We have communicated our frustrations to our Canvas admin, and we are now looking for external alternatives for the quiz functionality, with or without integration with Canvas. 

Hi  @hakan_erdogmus ‌,

It's unfortunate that you have found your experience with the Quizzes.Next beta lacking. Many users find a sandbox environment useful and my intent was to help with the situation at hand with the tools currently available.

The features you noted as removed have not been removed but rather are not yet rebuilt within Quizzes.Next. This is an important distinction that others who read this later should know. We have assessment preview, partial credit, student view, and assessment feedback visibility on our roadmap and always have. Nothing about the plan for these features has changed. In fact, today you can edit the questions for an assessment that has been taken using Canvas student view.

It is regrettable that the limited features available during the beta have left you frustrated. I wish that this was not the case. Thank you for taking the time to share your frustration here -- it is clear that you have given this a lot of thought -- so that others can benefit from your experience. I hope that you will be exposed to future iterations of Quizzes.Next and that we are able to regain your confidence.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

No, we cannot edit questions for an assessment that has been taken using Canvas student view.  That is the point of the complaints.  Your developers must have changed something that broke the workaround.  I can't imagine what change took priority over providing basic functionality.

Completely agree. Preview is super-basic functionality and it must work correctly.  Lack of it is just not acceptable in an enterprise-grade product, power user or not. If one cannot effectively test the quiz using the Preview, or attempting to do so freezes the quiz, what is it good for? If we cannot change it afterwards even if we discover something wrong during Preview testing, it's useless. This defies logic.  

You're absolutely right. Teachers need to try taking the assessment in Preview mode so that when the results come up, they can try to debug any errors they find, such as checking for any errors in formula based questions, and proper capitalization in Fill in the Blank based questions.

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

I've seen that there was a preview function available during the InstCon 2016, as you can see here.

However, the Preview function needs more tweaking. It has to be done so that it will look more than that from the student's point of view, especially when it comes to showing the correct answers and check formula based questions for any miscalculations that might result in the auto grader not awarding points even if the student believes to get the question right.

Quizzes.Next at InstCon 2016

mona_faridnejad

I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but I may have figured it out.

Try this:

1. Click on the "Quizzes" page within your course. This is the page that has the list of all your quizzes for the term.

2. Click on the quiz you wish to preview (e.g. "Quiz #2").

3. At the top of the page for the quiz, there is a "Preview" button to the left of the edit button that apparently only displays when you are not in the editing view. This should allow you to preview your quiz.

If you've been editing your quiz, press the "Save" button at the bottom of the screen and the next screen will bring you to Step 3 above.

0 Kudos

This thread is about quizzes.next (the ones you have to build in the assignments page) - not the normal canvas quizzes. The method you described works perfectly for the normal quiz tool, and it is what we want to be available for quizzes.next.

Hi 00900405.  I am not sure if you have been to the general Quizzes.Next user group page recently (Quizzes.Next User Group).  If not, there is a new design to the group page and a link to a feature prioritization exercise.  My hope is that everyone takes the time to complete the short survey to indicate their top needs for Quizzes.Next.

All the best!

0 Kudos
wilsoal

Wow, this thread is two years old and a preview functionality has not been added. I had to take a survey about Quizzes.next and why I am not using it. I like the question choices, but not having a student preview is the number ONE reason not to use it. It is not fully tested in an environment were real teachers are making tests. 

I did reset my test student multiple times and in the moderate section the attempts are still there and I get all these warning about a student taking the test. THIS IS A PROBLEM. PLEASE FIX! 

kroeninm
Community Champion

I'm not sure I saw this information in the thread so as an FYI if you remove the Test Student from the section as an enrollment then you can Unpublish the quiz after preview.  

1) If you publish a quiz, and take it under student preview you can reset the student using the reset button at the bottom of the screen.  This doesn't seem to allow you to unpublish or edit the questions without getting the error about editing a "copy".

2) If you then remove the Test Student from the section (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12860-4152464886) you can then unpublish the quiz.

3) You still get the error that you are editing a copy of the question.  Since the questions don't appear in the Item Banks, this may not be a huge issue but I think this causes a mess somewhere...so ideally you could truly remove the Test Student attempts.

Melanie

0 Kudos

If I delete the Test Student it seems I would need to create that student all over again to preview tests and other elements of the course. So  each time I want to preview the exam, I will have to make sure the previous test student was deleted, add a new one, preview my test, then delete the student again. This seems like a lot of steps. A simple preview button makes more sense. I wish Canvas had a better suggestion and issue ticketing system that created a greater sense of urgency, then a discussion board that may or may not be monitored by developers. 

kroeninm
Community Champion

Yes(!) The lack of a true preview function would be the main reason we are not ready to roll this out in live courses (the others being that the access code is not encrypted, and mute not 'muting'...).  Faculty don't want to open a quiz during a course just to preview it...and many faculty make edits during the term.  

And if it's a new tool with new options I want to heavily promote previewing and checking the quiz to be sure it's what they expect....I don't want to tell them not to preview it....  

Melanie

ijohnson41

I am new hi 

0 Kudos
Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

We have an official announcement that it is going to be available on August 17, 2019, according to the release notes.

Preview button in the Build page

SETTINGS

Many settings will work in the preview. Here are the following settings:

• Shuffle questions
  • One question at a time (with/without backtracking)
  • Time limit
  • Calculators (basic/scientific)
  • Restrict student result view (when viewing the results)

The following settings will not work in previews at this time:

• Student access codes. This can be an issue when testing with proctoring software such as the Respondus Lockdown Browser.
  • IP address filtering. We don't want to get locked out during previews.
  • Multiple attempts. There is no way to test the waiting period between preview attempts.
  • Moderation and accommodations. At this time, there is no way to test for extra attempts and extended time limits.

Assessment preview for students

ERROR CHECKING

You will be able to submit the assessment and check the results.

Restrict student view settings for students display in the preview for instructors

If you see something not looking right at any time, especially when it comes to embedded videos, formula-based questions, and careless mistakes when marking the correct answers, click X to return to the editor and try to fix the errors.

If you're creating a survey, make sure that Restrict Student Result View is ON and that the Show points awarded/possible, Indicate response as correct/incorrect, and Show correct answer with incorrect response are turned OFF.

Furthermore, when editing from the Assignments page, set the following settings:

• Display grade as: Complete/Incomplete
  • Do not count this assignment towards the final grade: ON

Hope this helps!

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN THE FUTURE

• If no time limit is set, show the time elapsed (during the assessment, not just after submitting)
  • If One Question at a Time is set, show the progress bar
kroeninm
Community Champion

Fabulous, I saw that update but this really helps clarify how to use it effectively. 

This makes Quizzes.Next a viable choice now for instructors with straightforward quizzes (that don't use proctoring...would love to see the access code obscured next hint hint Smiley Happy) . 

Melanie