cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghinck
Community Participant

Quizzes.Next Preview function

Hi- it is critical to have a preview available within the quiz itself.  It looks like currently we can only preview from student view which means that the quiz has to be published in order to preview.  If we publish, the students can view.  Is there a work around for this?

34 Replies
jeneen_hill
Community Contributor

Thank you for the information.  I must have ignored (yikes!) the reset button, and did not do that.  Is there another way for me to reset student?

Thanks,

Jeneen

hakan_erdogmus
Community Participant

It is extremely frustrating that such a basic functionality as Preview is still not available after half a year since the first post on this thread.  The "Test Student" workaround (which is highly arguably "easy" any way) is not working for me because even though I can see the "Test Student" in the gradebook, I can't see it in People view, nor when I try to assign a quiz to a single student ("Test Student" isn't being picked up by the search function). So basically, I am stuck, and thinking about abandoning Quiz.Next and revert back to the default Quiz functionality, which, compared to Blackboard, is very unsophisticated, and frankly painful to deal with. If there are any suggestions for external add-ins to Canvas for quizzes, I'll happy to give them a try. I am starting to regret my institution's switch from Blackboard to Canvas. 

Hi  @hakan_erdogmus ‌,

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. It is fair to point out that an assessment preview feature has been requested for some time. In fact, since we have this in Canvas Quizzes it is obvious we have been aware of the usefulness of this feature for a while. A solution is planned for a future release. Over the past development period this feature has ranked as less urgent than other features we have developed and improved during the beta program. We have continued to use the beta program to test, validate, harden, and improve on features that are less clear cut.

From the contents of your post it seems like your activities are more thorough than a simple preview. Specifically, using people view and assigning an assessment to a single student. There are many other users like you who -- as part of training, instructional design development, or general testing -- have opted to create a test course with some test student accounts. This is really the best way to experience the interplay of various scenarios, functionality, and settings. Your institution's Canvas admin should be able to help you set this up.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

hakan_erdogmus
Community Participant

Thank you for your response. Yes, it's true that I am a power user (also a software engineering professor). But I still find the justification lacking. A sandbox environment may be helpful for evaluating a new product at the beginning to make a use/no-use decision, but it's not practical at all during actual operation with an enterprise-grade product such as Canvas, where it is crucial to quickly or organically assess features as they are being used and discover unexpected interactions among them. In a beta product, it's not a good idea to regress by removing valuable features from the current product. Preview is not the only feature that appears to have been removed in Quizzes.next. Partial credit for multiple-answer questions (you might as well entirely remove that question category) and controls for quiz result visibility are others. Yet another one is ability to edit the questions/answers once the quiz has been tested via the Student View.  These regressions don't just frustrate your power users, but effectively make the beta product useless for them. They also break their confidence in the product. We have communicated our frustrations to our Canvas admin, and we are now looking for external alternatives for the quiz functionality, with or without integration with Canvas. 

Hi  @hakan_erdogmus ‌,

It's unfortunate that you have found your experience with the Quizzes.Next beta lacking. Many users find a sandbox environment useful and my intent was to help with the situation at hand with the tools currently available.

The features you noted as removed have not been removed but rather are not yet rebuilt within Quizzes.Next. This is an important distinction that others who read this later should know. We have assessment preview, partial credit, student view, and assessment feedback visibility on our roadmap and always have. Nothing about the plan for these features has changed. In fact, today you can edit the questions for an assessment that has been taken using Canvas student view.

It is regrettable that the limited features available during the beta have left you frustrated. I wish that this was not the case. Thank you for taking the time to share your frustration here -- it is clear that you have given this a lot of thought -- so that others can benefit from your experience. I hope that you will be exposed to future iterations of Quizzes.Next and that we are able to regain your confidence.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

rbeigel
Community Member

Is there a currently working workaround for this critical issue?  I took my quiz twice in Student View, reset the student over and over, and the Moderator View shows three Test Students, two of which have taken the quiz.

The ability to preview is basic functionality.  Please stop adding features, and attend to basic functionality.

No, we cannot edit questions for an assessment that has been taken using Canvas student view.  That is the point of the complaints.  Your developers must have changed something that broke the workaround.  I can't imagine what change took priority over providing basic functionality.

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

I've seen that there was a preview function available during the InstCon 2016, as you can see here.

However, the Preview function needs more tweaking. It has to be done so that it will look more than that from the student's point of view, especially when it comes to showing the correct answers and check formula based questions for any miscalculations that might result in the auto grader not awarding points even if the student believes to get the question right.

Quizzes.Next at InstCon 2016

joe_greene
Community Participant

There isn't a test student option in the settings for our instance of Quizzes.Next.