cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaron_bahmer
Adventurer

Quizzes.Next and Assignment Tool

Jump to solution

As I understand it, using Quizzes.Next (may I say QN?) creates a special type of assignment. The assignment process asks for a point value long before you get to the QN question builder. In my brief experience, I have found that the point value of the assignment does not necessarily reflect the total points that a quiz you build in QN is actually worth. How is this difference in points reconciled to the student?

• Do I need to manually change the assignment points to match the QN quiz?
  • Will the assignment grade be a proportionate amount of the QN quiz grade (ie. Assignment worth 20 points, but quiz works out to be 50 - student scores 40/50 on the quiz, is the assignment score then 16?)

This is likely related to the question being asked in https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/20131-grade-adjusted-after-edit 

Am I just missing something in the Assignment settings for this QN item?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aaron_bahmer
Adventurer

Further testing reveals that *yes* the assignment score is adjusted proportionately to the quiz score (that is % correct on quiz becomes % correct applied to the assignment.)

However! IF you do want the point values to match (Assignment points = Quiz points), make the change before allowing students to take the quiz. The quiz score percentage is not used to update the assignment score if the assignment points are changed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
aaron_bahmer
Adventurer

Further testing reveals that *yes* the assignment score is adjusted proportionately to the quiz score (that is % correct on quiz becomes % correct applied to the assignment.)

However! IF you do want the point values to match (Assignment points = Quiz points), make the change before allowing students to take the quiz. The quiz score percentage is not used to update the assignment score if the assignment points are changed.

View solution in original post

kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @aaron_bahmer ‌,

Your testing is correct, and thank you for taking the time to update the thread.

I hope this answers your questions:

• Quizzes.Next LTI is accessed via a Canvas assignment that uses an external tool. Other LTI tools can be used the same way.
  • The point value in the two systems does not always match, and this is ok. There is no technical need for them to match. You do not need to manually make them match.
  • The assignment grade will be proportionate to the Quizzes.Next LTI grade.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @aaron_bahmer .  I am reviewing older Quizzes.Next questions to see if updates are possible.  I am going to mark your response as correct as it has some great information on grading behavior in Quizzes.Next.  For others who may read this later, I also would like to point out that another similar question arose and in the discussion thread there is some additional observation of how grades are tabulated, Points vs Points? 

Best wishes!